PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Vintage Cup/ World Side by Side Championship

John Truitt
07-16-2014, 02:49 PM
Looking forward to this one. Hopefully a very good friend from the West Coast will be able to make it with me.

I will attach a link to registration/ shooter info tonight

for other info check out

www.vintagers.org

Larry Frey
07-16-2014, 05:42 PM
John,
Everyone I've talked to about Dover Furnace had nothing but good things to say about it. Deb and I are looking forward to shooting at this club and hope to see you there.

John Truitt
07-16-2014, 06:47 PM
I am looking forward to it and seeing you guys.

All my best,

John

John Truitt
07-16-2014, 08:42 PM
Can anyone pass along any recs for places to stay that wont be too far of a drive from the range.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is like going into Indian territory in the old wild west without a trusty guide.

Thanks

Dean Romig
07-16-2014, 09:39 PM
Don't worry about it John - I haven't heard of a Yankee scalping anyone in more than a decade. :eek:

Dave Suponski
07-16-2014, 10:00 PM
I will post up some info on hotels etc. tomorrow evening.

John Truitt
07-16-2014, 10:15 PM
Mr R
Good to know. I just meant I don't know any thing about that area of the country. I don't want to get lost.

Thanks Mr S.

Mike Koneski
07-17-2014, 10:15 AM
I registered Carte Blanche 2 weeks ago. Make sure you call Dover Furnace and rent a cart. The course is spread out. If you'll be shooting a lot of stuff like me, you'll need it!! As for lodging, you'll be staying approximately 1/2 hour from the club. We stay in Fishkill at the Quality Inn and Suites. BTW, Tanjoor Palace has GREAT Indian Cuisine.

Mike Koneski
07-17-2014, 10:23 AM
There's also a nice old diner right by the hotel we stay at that has lox and bagels for breakfast!! Nix Besser!!

John Truitt
07-17-2014, 12:27 PM
Mike,

I am going to register carte blanche as well. Thanks for the heads up about the golf cart. Great idea.

Dave Suponski
07-17-2014, 08:03 PM
John and All, Here is a list of accomodations as promised. Also please note that the PGCA will have a display booth set-up. I have shot these course's several times and they are fantastic. Also they have skeet,trap ,five stand,fitasc in addition to two sporting courses. The grounds are wonderful and this part of Duchess County is great. Bring lot's of gun's and even more ammo you're gonna need it....:)

John Truitt
07-17-2014, 09:21 PM
thanks Mr S.

I plan on bringing a lot and shooting a lot.

Cant wait. :)

Dave Suponski
08-30-2014, 06:50 PM
Bringing this thread to the top. The PGCA will have display tables set up on Friday thru Sunday. We will be featuring some seldom seen display items from the PGCA collection so be sure to stop by and check it out.

Craig Larter
09-24-2014, 07:55 PM
Looking forward to seeing everyone since I was unable to go to the annual meeting. Planning on arriving just before noon on Friday. The weather looks fantastic. Planning on burning lots of powder with the DH and CHE. Craig

Mike Koneski
09-24-2014, 08:24 PM
Already here Craig!! Never thought I'd need 2 luggage dolly's to take my gear into the hotel!! I'll see you at the AHFCA booth. I brought that leather case for you too.

John Truitt
09-24-2014, 10:36 PM
Best of luck guys. Tear them em.
Please keep us posted.

John Truitt
09-25-2014, 09:45 PM
Whats the word so far?

What are the targets like?

Course lay out/ terrain/ etc.

Any info would be appreciated

What events did you shoot etc?

Mike Koneski
09-25-2014, 10:07 PM
Turnout was light. Targets were very good. I enjoyed them and they looked like a sub gauge course I'd set! All sub gauges were shot on the Blue Course 8 stations. Weather held out for us too as we had a few sprinkles late in the day. I shot 16 hammer and hammerless, 20 hammerless, 28 hammerless and .410 hammerless. Terrain is mostly flat on that section of the course. Station 1 has a valley, a few other stations were shot from elevated stands. 3 more events to shoot tomorrow and Saturday and the Main on Sunday, unless I buy another gun and enter another event! :whistle:

John Truitt
09-25-2014, 10:33 PM
keep your eyes peeled they are out there.

a ten hammer gun should not be too hard to find.

a twenty hammer gun now that's another matter all together.

Best of luck Mike!!!!

Mike Koneski
09-26-2014, 06:33 PM
Shot the "Big Bore" course today. Nice targets again! Nothing too hard for the majority of shooters. Shot the 10g hammer (Yes, I found a London gun made by Hollis, 32" and cyl/cyl), 10g hammerless, 12g RST hammer and 12g prelim. Shot even better today than yesterday. The course was constantly changing due to the changing light conditions. Some birds were easier to see in the AM and some were easier in the PM. No sun in the eyes on the big bore course. The guys on the small bore course had a lot of sun problems in the AM. Glad we shot all the subs yesterday in overcast conditions! That hammer 10 will be sweet after I have the 8 lb front trigger worked on. Gave away 10 birds due to "yanking" that trigger. Hope to have it ready by the Fall Southern. Can't make John T shoot alone!! Nice times chatting in the Fox, German Gun Collectors, Lefever, LC and Parker booths. That's what it's all about. Tomorrow I have the American Classic, 5-Stand and black powder events to shoot. Eyes are tired now, off to the Sappore Steak House. Let's see, buffalo, elk or venison? Eeenie, meenie, miney, moe.....

John Truitt
09-26-2014, 10:24 PM
Mike,

Thanks for the report. Glad you found a keeper.

Keep up the good shooting.

Chuck Bishop
09-26-2014, 11:48 PM
Some pictures from Friday

John Campbell
09-27-2014, 09:30 AM
It's now Saturday. So perhaps attending members might be kind enough to enlighten those not there:

What does attendance look like?
What about vendor attendance? Up? Down?
Overall satisfaction with the venue and course?
General delight in helping Gov. Andrew Cuomo keep NY solvent?

Tony Ambrose
09-27-2014, 10:33 AM
The engraving on the J. Browning A grade will take your breath away! Happy to see it on display. Thanks guys.

Chuck Bishop
09-27-2014, 08:11 PM
The hotel internet was real slow so I gave up on the pictures. Let's try again. I'm home.

The attendance was down from what everyone told me. There were 2 main tents and a couple of real small ones so maybe you can compare to other years. The usual venders were there. The guys that shot the course said they went right through without wait.

Chuck Bishop
09-27-2014, 08:18 PM
Hmm, what's going on with the pictures. It used to be so easy!

Calling Mr. Dunkle, calling Mr. Dunkle, come in Mr. Dunkle!

Dean Romig
09-27-2014, 10:08 PM
The engraving on the J. Browning A grade will take your breath away! Happy to see it on display. Thanks guys.

I counted five woodcock chicks on the floor plate plus two adults... did anyone count more? That is an amazing Parker.

George Stanton
09-28-2014, 08:22 AM
I think there are more vendors than in the last several years. Attendance seems better than at Addieville. The courses are very nice and it all seems very well run. I've had a nice time.

Chuck Bishop
09-28-2014, 09:02 AM
Let's try from a different computer.

Dean Romig
09-28-2014, 09:21 AM
Thanks Chuck.

Our hats are off to Larry Frey and Dave Suponski for setting up that great PGCA display!

edgarspencer
09-28-2014, 11:32 AM
I no sooner got there and Mssrs Frey and Suponski and I were out of the small bore course; they shooting 20s and me taking out the gun from hell for the first time. I gave Dave a proper whopping, but not sure how Larry shot**. It looked like he was doing great, but he 'claimed' he did better on the big bore course in the afternoon. Dave and I shot the big bore course also and enjoyed it immensely, me more so, as I beat him again. Following a good looking blond in breaks, shooting with, ahem, her 'grandfather' was fun too. When she finally broke her last pair on station 8, Dave and I gave her applause, but the look we got in return suggested it wasn't received with the gusto that it was sent with.
That gun from hell fits me so well, thanks to Chris Dawe making it to the dimensions I gave him. Dave promised he'd sell me his GHE 16 if I beat him, but I failed to get a price out of him at that time.
It wasn't until I was on my way home did I even realize, I never bothered to walk thru the tents to look at the eye candy. I did remember the DHE 0 frame 16 as I looked at it twice.
Dover Furnace definitely gets an A+ for quality, scenery and layout.
Brian Edward stopped by the booth and we all had a great visit with him.

** Larry thinks I was dissing him. I wasn't. he shot better than all of us.

John Truitt
09-28-2014, 06:37 PM
Good shooting Mr Frey.

Any word on HOA?

How about number of participants etc.

Any info would be great.

Dave Suponski
09-28-2014, 06:56 PM
Yup we had a great time even though I let Egger beat me. After all with all the trouble he went thru with that great 16 gauge hammergun I just didn't have the heart to womp him good...:rolleyes: By the way I also beat Mr. Frey by 1 bird on the 20 gauge course but that was because Larry was trying to figure out his new 20 gauge damascus D grade...:) Larry shot the hell out of the 12 gauge course on Saturday afternoon with a 46x50! Both courses were very nice and the food believe it or not was wonderful. The PGCA display was wonderful with items not seen in public for years. A few pictures to compliment Chucks.....

Dave Suponski
09-28-2014, 07:01 PM
Here ya go....

edgarspencer
09-28-2014, 07:29 PM
Yup we had a great time even though I let Egger beat me. After all with all the trouble he went thru with that great 16 gauge hammergun I just didn't have the heart to womp him good...:rolleyes: Really? Seemed like you were trying pretty hard.
By the way I also beat Mr. Frey by 1 bird on the 20 gauge course but that was because Larry was trying to figure out his new 20 gauge damascus D grade...:)

So, using modern math, I beat both of you? I think I'd better hang it up now, because I used to make a pretty good living getting paid to shoot. I always made everyone else look good.

Larry Frey
09-28-2014, 07:56 PM
Good shooting Mr Frey.

Any word on HOA?

How about number of participants etc.

Any info would be great.

Thanks John,
As has been said the courses were really nice and very SxS friendly. In other words the targets were fair yet no one to my knowledge cleaned the course. As usual Mal MacGregor came in HOA (59/60) in the American Classic event and of course was shooting a Parker. I was looking for someone to shoot the AC event with and hooked up with Fox guys Paul Plunkett and Jim Malone. Please don't spread it around but they were both shooting Parkers which just reinforced what we already know, when your keeping score you better be shooting a Parker Gun.;)

edgarspencer
09-28-2014, 08:02 PM
The FOX guys were shooting Parkers? OK, Mums the word

Larry Frey
09-28-2014, 08:11 PM
It's now Saturday. So perhaps attending members might be kind enough to enlighten those not there:

What does attendance look like?
What about vendor attendance? Up? Down?
Overall satisfaction with the venue and course?
General delight in helping Gov. Andrew Cuomo keep NY solvent?

John,
In my opinion attendance was up over the last two years which is not to say it was like a few years ago in Maryland but more than recently. There was plenty of venders and lots of guns to handle. As has been reported in other threads regarding gun shows turning into black gun/jerky conventions I really hope people start supporting these events or one day soon we will find there are none. Dover Furnace was a great place to hold this event, with indoor bathroom facilities, a giant indoor dining facility with great food, and well run shooting facilities this place had it all. Add in four days with blue bird skies and mild temps and it made for a great time for those that attended.

Brian Hornacek
09-28-2014, 09:51 PM
It was great to meat Edgar, Dave and Larry. My first time to Dover Plains and it is an amazing facility. The targets were not difficult averaging 20 yards but great effort was put in the variety. Each course had 5 or more events on Saturday with 3 traps on each station. They mixed up the menu giving great variety which I think is missing in Sanford, I have not been to Sanford in 2 years but the previous 4 years I think the targets were the same.

I shot the 5 stand with the guy that was perfect 50, a 48 a 47 and my modest 45. With the big gun on the upper course you needed a 50 or 49 to play in the American classics or the prelim. My 46 and 47 were just supporting numbers, on the main I shot a 94 and was a participant as I heard a 98 was in the clubhouse early.

Meeting new friends and chatting guns made up for the misses. Hope to see my new friends again soon.

John Truitt
09-28-2014, 11:30 PM
Strong shooting Mr Edwards...

Looks like some big scores. tight competition

Those guys from RST make a great product. Glad they made it up there.

Tony Ambrose
09-29-2014, 10:43 AM
It was great meeting some of the members at this event. It is a great facility and located only about 45 minutes from my house.

I want to thank Dave one more time for finding the DGJ copy that had the article on my little Fox 20.

allen newell
09-29-2014, 12:18 PM
5 of us drove 3 1/2 hrs from Plymouth, Ma to Dover Furnace in the back of a relatively small Nissan pick up. Felt like a sardine just taken out of the can, but we rewarded with a beautiful setting before us at DF and that mitigated the brutality of he drive out. The gun displays were excellent and more than we had imagined. The lunch was excellent as well.

None of u shot the course as we had limited time on site and really just wanted to see the vendor displays and maybe pick up a few items.

I did breakdown and purchased a very nice 12 ga. WW Greener the Robert Allen of Highbrighton Farm had up for sale at a very fair price including the original case w/all accoutrements. Now the gents that I shoot clays with weekly will get off my ass about only shooting Parkers (They shoot English doubles). Truth is, this Greener has modern dimensions that fit me better. Still a Parkerphile though.

Rick Losey
09-29-2014, 01:46 PM
I did breakdown and purchased a very nice 12 ga. WW Greener the Robert Allen of Highbrighton Farm had up for sale at a very fair price including the original case w/all accoutrements. Now the gents that I shoot clays with weekly will get off my ass about only shooting Parkers (They shoot English doubles). Truth is, this Greener has modern dimensions that fit me better. Still a Parkerphile though.

Must I remind you of the board rules that boosting of any new find must be accompanied with pictures. :rolleyes:

(well it should be a rule)

allen newell
09-29-2014, 04:25 PM
When I have his nice all original gem in hand I will be only too happy to post some pictures. And I'll also post some pics showing Brad Bachelder's fine craftsmanship restoring a little 2 ga. Trojan that will be my grandson's first doublegun when Logan reaches 12 yrs of age.

Dave Suponski
09-29-2014, 08:02 PM
Tony, I was great to meet you Saturday and again congratulations on a wonderful Fox. As far as the book goes the pleasure was all mine. Enjoy!

Mike Koneski
09-29-2014, 10:46 PM
John T, the Main Event had great targets. Once again, if ya missed any it was your own fault!! I gave away too many birds. Front trigger needs work and that's getting taken care of tomorrow. Vendors were not happy and felt attendance was down again. I went through the main with my wife along and we really didn't wait too long at any stations. Followed a squad of 2 just to see the birds.

Best thing about the Vintage Cup is I go there with 11 guns and go home with 14!! :rotf:

I know Dave Defernelmont shot a 97 early in the day. We shot together all weekend until the Main, but due to travel differences he and David had to leave early. I'm trying to find final results for the Main too, so if anyone knows who was HOA, please post here!!

Mike Koneski
09-29-2014, 10:52 PM
Well, I got an email from CSMC with the result of the HOA in the Main. Chuck Devinne shot a 100/100. Figured someone would run it. The course was definitely set for someone that had enough focus to break 'em all. Great shooting Chuck!! Mal shot a 49/50 in the American Classics too, well struck Mal!!!

Dean Romig
09-29-2014, 10:53 PM
Error

John Truitt
09-30-2014, 09:23 AM
Mike thanks for the update.

Wow Chuck continues to dominate that event as well as Mal and Dave D.

They all are great shooters and very nice guys.

Those were some big scores.