PDA

View Full Version : Sell other than double guns

Steve Huffman
07-11-2014, 05:52 PM
I see that there is a model 12 for sale in the for sale section ,can we sell other than doubles ?

Mark Ouellette
07-12-2014, 09:02 AM
Steve and all,

Posting other than a collectible double (side by side) for sale is an evolution. The subject collectible vintage Model 12 certainly seems acceptable for these forums. A modern Winchester Super X-3 automatic or Browning 725 over and under would not be.

So what does this mean? Simple, Neither John, Jeff or I want or need to spend countless hours trying to determine if a hundred non-doubles suddenly posted for sale on these forums are acceptable. "Why is his okay and mine is not?" We are unpaid volunteers who have regular jobs and many other things to do in our lives. We give to the PGCA our time and often considerable patients.

What could be acceptable? If a shotgun is vintage and collectible then there is a good chance that it's okay. A bolt action shotgun would not be unless for example it is documented to be engraved by Angelo Bee or owned by someone famous.

Posting other than a double, side by side shotgun on the for sale forum is evolving. For now if anyone has something other than a side by side shotgun for sale please contact John Dunkle, Jeff Kuss, or me for authorization. We may need to discuss among ourselves to make a judgement call. For ANY handgun contact John Dunkle.

Also, one may post for sale a side by side for which they have control of the sale. Consignments are okay and selling a gun for the neighbor widow is fine.

- If a gun for sale here is also for sale on another non-auction site one MUST state that in the listing.

- Guns listed on any auction site may NOT be listed here. Why? Because once there is a bid on it the seller no longer has control of the sale. Listing something here first and after it doesn't sell then listing on an auction is acceptable. The seller MUST however notify all in their thread here that it is now for sale on an auction site. Posting a link (URL) to that auction would be fine.

All that is a clear as mud isn't it? Let's see how this works. If this becomes too much work or starts to go against the ethos of our organization then believe me it will cease to exist in a heartbeat!

Mark

ed good
07-12-2014, 10:41 AM
if a gun is listed for sale here and then later listed for sale on an auction site, should seller notify you of such listing, so you can then delete listing here?

Mark Ouellette
07-12-2014, 10:48 AM
First notify all via the forum listing.

Second send me a PM requesting removal of the thread. A PM without a salutation or punctuation will cost you by my hourly rate.

John Dunkle
07-12-2014, 10:48 AM
Hi Ed,

That would be just fine - thank you! And as well - please post it in your listing - and Mark, I or Jeff will close it...

- John

Mark Ouellette
07-12-2014, 10:49 AM
John is much nicer than I. :rotf:

John Dunkle
07-12-2014, 10:53 AM
Actually - Mark & I regularly reverse roles (nice - not so nice) just to keep all the Members confused ;)

John

Mark Ouellette
07-12-2014, 11:07 AM
Actually - Mark & I regularly reverse roles (nice - not so nice) just to keep all the Members confused ;)

John

Yup! The upset, torqued-off Mr. Dunkle is a scary thing! :eek:

Per Roman Emperor Sulla; "Nullus amicus melior - Nullus inimicus peior"
and in the 21st century as translated and used by General "Mad Dog" Mattis and the First Marine Division;
"No better friend, no worse enemy."

Grantham Forester
07-16-2014, 11:15 AM

John Does Mr. Dunkle have expertise in the handgun field? I have a Persian Contract Mauser C96 semi-auto pistol..

Mark Ouellette
07-16-2014, 12:35 PM
Does Mr. Dunkle have expertise in the handgun field? I have a Persian Contract Mauser C96 semi-auto pistol..

Gee that's nice! :rotf:

John Dunkle is the only decision authority for if a PGCA member may or may not sell their handgun on these forums.

John owns and manages a profitable Luger forum along with another on P-38's and so on. Yes, John may know something about handguns but he darn sure know more about managing successful web-forums!

Grantham Forester
07-16-2014, 01:17 PM
Gee that's nice! :rotf:

John Dunkle is the only decision authority for if a PGCA member may or may not sell their handgun on these forums.

John owns and manages a profitable Luger forum along with another on P-38's and so on. Yes, John may know something about handguns but he darn sure know more about managing successful web-forums!

First off, I am but only a Forum member here, so even if Mr. Dunkle allowed the sale of such handguns, I do not qualify to do so here. The raison d'etre for my query was- there are many "counterfeits" of the scarce Mauser C96 pistols made for Persia and also Turkey, in the pre-WW1 era- I have reason to believe mine is the real deal, as it came back to the States in 1918 in a diplomatic courier's pouch from Ankara- given to my relative, who later gave it to me.

If Mr. Dunkle's expertise in handguns also extends to the WW11 era, I have a Krieghoff mfg. Luftwaffe Luger my late uncle brought back from Europe, and again, would possibly like to authenticate that pistol as well.

The Mauser C96 is in 7.62x25mm aka .30 Mauser Caliber, the Luger is in std. 9mm Parabellum caliber.

I hope this may clear up any possibly room for error.

Mark Ouellette
07-16-2014, 01:32 PM
Grantham,

Perhaps you should send John a PM. I am sure that he would provide web forums that could assist you in verifying your pistols. The collectors on those sites should mirror those in the PGCA for their level of expertise.

If you are serious about Parkers please join the PGCA!

Mark

John Dunkle
07-16-2014, 01:37 PM
Hi Grantham.!

Many thanks for your inquiry - and let's see if I can't give you a bit of background and figure out how to assist you best, OK?

I run several firearm collector sites - the Lugerforum ((http://lugerforum.com) and the P38 & PPK Collectors Forum (http://p38forum.com) - in those two sites, I have about 20,000 or so active collectors and have run them for over a decade. As well, I've also been a Senior Trader/Asst. Manager in one of the single largest firearms retailer on the East Coast - again, for about 10 years? But, I've cut my hours back there given my other work loads recently...

Anyway - are you looking to authenticate your Persian contract C96, or rather - are you looking to estimate its value? I will tell you that it should fall into a specific serial number range, and details like the fine-line grips and dual ringed hammer and other small parts need to be examined closely - as well that the sun/lion emblem should appear "correctly" (I'd get into what the spurious engravings look like - but, rather not)..

As for your Krieghoff Luger.. Same question about are you looking to authenticate or recieve a valuation. In that regard, I actually had (gone now) one of the most expansive HK Luger Collections in the USA, aside from Randall Gibson and Ralph Shattuck (both of who have passed and were equally wonderful friends) - and I've personally authenticated dozens of Krieghoff Lugers - from G dates through to Post-War bring-backs - over the last 20-30 years.

Feel free to Private Message me, and let me know where you are located and what you are thinking with both/either of these fine handguns.

My Best,

John

Grantham Forester
07-17-2014, 07:49 AM
But many thanks for your kind and informative reply. In recent issues of The Shotgun News, Roger Kokalis has covered the many variants since 1908 when the Luger pistol was patented- with great close photographs as well. In his writing, he also mentions your late friend Mr. Shattuck and his vast knowledge of the Lugers.

I think it is indeed a good omen that you and the other moderators on the PGCA Forum allow reasonable latitude, but the main focus is the fine double guns made by Parker.