PDA

View Full Version : Parker Long Range Small Bore

Bruce Day
06-17-2009, 05:15 PM
As noted in the Small Bore Guns brochure, the Parker Long Range Small Bore was a 20ga in 30 or 32" barrels. This is a 32".

The case is a Red Head Elliot case, otherwise known as a double ended case.

Parkers were shipped from the factory with light cotton barrel and butt end sleeves for the lower grades and chamois cloth sleeves for the high grades.

Bruce Day
06-17-2009, 05:17 PM
xxx

Rich Anderson
06-17-2009, 05:26 PM
Bruce,
Bring that long range gun to da U.P. eh, you can use it in the pigeon ring. I'll be bringing a DHE 20 w/30 VR bbls. I wouldn't call it a long range 20 however.

Russ Jackson
06-17-2009, 06:47 PM
Hello Bruce; That's a nice Parker, Do you mind me asking ,did you recently purchase that gun from Steve Barnett ,I called him about about two ,maybe three weeks ago and he said it was already spoken for, I was wondering if and when it would show up on our site ! Russ

Bruce Day
06-17-2009, 07:12 PM
No, I've had it for maybe 3-4 years. Steve had one for sale but I gulped and passed by. They are hard to find, very much in demand and a collector's gun. I think within reason, sellers have been able to get what they want.

Russ Jackson
06-17-2009, 07:22 PM
I really didn't think the price was really too far out of order when a 28, or 30" gun is bringing as much or more ? There is no doubt they are not cheap !The gun Steve had appeared very nice, I wonder if one of the members bought it ,also the serial # had me wondering if it was one of the Widgeon Duck Club guns ? What do you think ?

Bruce Day
06-17-2009, 08:19 PM
The Widgeon Duck Club gun numbers are listed in TPS so that can be determined.

I don't remember what the price was but I know these guns do well. I've shot the gun quite a bit and friends have also shot it. Its not an all around gun and the chokes are so tight you have to be dead on for close targets or let the target get out a ways. It is fun for slower, deliberate shooting. It hits very hard on pheasant and the pattern is so dense you can place it on the headand neck. I've shot it at the pigeon ring and done as well or better than people with 12ga guns. They are amazing examples of Parker gunwork but I sure wouldn't call them a grouse gun.

Mine is on an O frame and even at close to 7 lbs, it doesn't like heavy loads. It doubles on some 1 oz loads. I 'd be surprised if the sears are worn because it hasn't been used that much. I've found that doubling in a Parker is the gun telling you the load is too heavy.

Russ Jackson
06-17-2009, 08:48 PM
Bruce; I thought the Duck Guns were listed by Serial, but I couldn't locate it ,I am really sorry I missed the gun Steve had !

Jim Williams
06-18-2009, 02:47 AM
Bruce,

Have you measured the trigger pulls on that gun?

Jim

Dave Suponski
06-18-2009, 06:52 AM
Is that Larrys ex-gun? Looks familiar.

Bruce Day
06-18-2009, 07:18 AM
It is, Dave. Thanks also to Dave, who has one of the few remaining original Parker gun sleeve sets. Dave was kind to send me his originals and my mother made a copy for me. I'm not sure many collectors realize Parker did that, and as I strive for authenticity, I like gun sleeves, period cases and cleaning rods.

Jim, no I have not. I have no tool to do that, but they seem no different than any other Parker I have.

Jim Williams
06-18-2009, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the info on the gun sleeves Bruce, I was not aware of that either.

My 0-frame 20 started doubling on me a few months ago. When I pulled the right trigger the left would also fire, but not the other way around. It happened twice within one box of shells and I switched over to firing the left barrel first to make it through the day without further problems. These were standard 7/8 oz. promo loads. I don't have a trigger scale either, but a stockmaker friend of mine does and we measured them at around 4 lbs. Rt., and 1.5 lbs. Lt. I'm not experienced with sear angles enough to fool with reshaping them, so I disassembled the gun and let him do the stoning, then I would reassemble and re-measure. He went very slow and for the first 5 or 6 tries nothing changed, but then we started to see the pull increase. About two more tries and we had it up to around 4-1/2 lbs. and called it good. No problems since, and the triggers feel great. I have often wondered why the left sear would wear before the right, since it typically gets used less, but there it was. As I'm sure you know, it is common practice to have the left trigger with 1/2 to 1 lb. greater pull than the right to help prevent doubling. The final pulls we arrived at were listed in notes my friend had taken while attending a gunsmithing seminar put on by English smith Jack Rowe.

You could probably get a ballpark idea of the trigger pulls with a fish scale and a string tied to the trigger, but you'd have to watch very closely at the time of the break to know where it happened. A proper trigger scale will mark the point of the break with a "bug", like on your aircraft instruments.

Jim

Dave Suponski
06-18-2009, 05:46 PM
Thanks Bruce

Rich Anderson
06-23-2009, 07:38 AM
Dave this did indeed belong to Larry at one time.

I had the pleasure of shooting this gun at the U.P. shoot and a close target well centered turns to fine dust. Its a very nice and well handeling gun that would make a great Pheasant gun on the western grasslands.

Bruce Day
06-23-2009, 08:58 AM
Jim, I and a couple others shot this 32" at the UP shoot and it doubled twice again. Its a high condition gun and several, including Dave Miles, suggested I clean the trigger group again. So last night I ran a lot of Rem Action Cleaner through it, following my own admonition that almost all Parker problems are caused by dirt and congealed oil or grease. We'll see if that fixes it; otherwise its off to the trigger experts.

Rich, it does make a great pheasant gun, if you are careful with the long barrels while getting in and out of the truck. And its a little difficult for shooting out the window.

You want to let the bird get out there a ways because it hits so hard even with a 7/8 load of 6's, it can turn a pheasant breast to mush. I usually aim for only the head and neck, but as I demonstrated at the Yooper, I can't hit the target all the time.

Larry Frey
06-23-2009, 02:06 PM
Bruce,
Obviously that gun must have been defective when you received it:cuss:. So in the spirit of fair play I think you should send it back for a full refund. I will even cover shipping:).

Bruce Day
06-23-2009, 02:24 PM
These things are so scarce, they are probably more collectible than even a nice A grade. A smart collector might even offer an outstanding A grade in trade.

No, where would I find another? I like having it, its a fun and interesting gun.

Larry Frey
06-23-2009, 02:38 PM
Bruce,
All kidding aside I really like that case. If you run into another one that takes 32" barrels keep me in mind.

Bruce Day
06-23-2009, 02:44 PM
Bruce,
All kidding aside I really like that case. If you run into another one that takes 32" barrels keep me in mind.

I just sent a really nice one to Lon Morris. I remember seeing one with a gold stamped A&F logo on it. I'll see if its still available. It was very nice. Not many cases will hold 32"s.

Destry L. Hoffard
06-23-2009, 04:20 PM
Larry,

I've been looking for a 32 inch case for a long time myself. Just finally came up with a very decent 32 inch LOM from Kevin at the last Vintagers that I'm real happy with.

Destry

Don Kaas
06-23-2009, 05:52 PM
I have one, Destry. You should have asked.

Destry L. Hoffard
06-23-2009, 07:15 PM
*raises eyebrows*

I'll drop you an email.

Rich Anderson
06-23-2009, 07:57 PM
Bruce,
A true Youper would shoot his birds out of the passenger window with that gun:rotf:

Regardin the doubeling I had no problem and can fix that for you. Just send me the gun and I'll have it ready in about ten years....nine if I rush it:rolleyes:

Kevin McCormack
06-24-2009, 05:43 PM
Bruce,

Where the hell were you guys when I was sitting with my rack full of LOMs at the NE SxS Shoot??! I had TWO killer 32" cases, BOTH Abercrombie & Fitch marked!! Just to rub it in, I sold one to Frank Finch's wife, who gave it to him as a Father's Day gift for a screaming LC Premier grade trap!!! As the saying goes; "Snoothesh; Loosesth"!!!

Larry Frey
06-24-2009, 08:55 PM
Kevin,
I saw you at least a dozen times and we spoke often but I had no idea you had a table there. If you still have the other case please send me a pm to dicuss.

Kevin McCormack
06-25-2009, 08:37 AM
Sorry, Larry - they are both gone. They went fast when I put them out on Saturday. I don't see how you could have missed them - my rack was directly off the lower end of Pat Bocuzzi's table, where you spent considerable time. On Saturday morning, I also had a number of hammer guns on the rack and there was much interest in them as well. When I get another nice 32" in I will let you know. Thanks, K.

David Hamilton
06-28-2009, 08:11 PM
Bruce, I do believe that a good gun smith can make your gun double proof. It may be true that heavy loads cause a Parker to double but it often is a sign that the sears or pivots need attention. Even dirt and gum can help cause this problem. David

David Hamilton
06-28-2009, 08:17 PM
Bruce_ Sorry about this post as I am getting used to the new format and missed the posts that covered the matter. David

Rich Anderson
06-29-2009, 09:33 PM
I'll agree that the doubeling might be caused by accumalated grime but its my understanding that light loads (like what we shoot in these guns) are more prone to cause doubeling as there isn't sufficient recoil to set the second sear.

I had the privelage to shoot a round of five stand with this gun and it preformed flawlessly:)

Thomas L. Benson Sr.
06-29-2009, 09:35 PM
Bruce Day : What a great gun you have. Do you have info on how many of these 20 gauge 32 inch guns were made of all grades. Have a great day. Thomas L. Benson Sr.

Bob Jurewicz
06-30-2009, 05:46 AM
I think there may be quite a few out there. Here is one shipped to Cline Hardware Co. Sacramento, CA April 2, 1917. Its a DHE 32", F/F and originally chambered at 2 3/4". Straight grip with splinter and Skeleton Plate-14 1/4" -DAC 1 5/8"-DAH 2 1/2". Another member of the board has a VHE one number from mine. I'm hoping someday I may be able to make it pair.
Bob Jurewicz

Dean Romig
06-30-2009, 06:16 AM
Bob, what a fabulous gun!

Don Kaas
06-30-2009, 07:19 PM
According to TPS circa 445 hammerless Parkers of all grades were made in 32" 20g. Of course, that number is statistically adjusted. It does not include guns like my #2 frame 32" D3 DH with 3" chambers choked .029/.029...a true long range small bore that was re-barreled on a 1919 DH 30" 12g that originally went to Louisiana. Some good soul wanted a cool duck gun and Parker made him one, God bless 'im:)

Bruce Day
07-01-2009, 09:40 AM
No I do not. However, not many. The TPS shows compilations by grade, gauge and barrel length and the answer could be determined by that.

Thomas L. Benson Sr.
07-01-2009, 10:03 PM
Bruce: Sorry but what is TPS.

Dean Romig
07-01-2009, 10:19 PM
TPS is The Parker Story, a massive two-volume tome of just about everything Parker. It has been our bible when it comes to research on Parker guns, tools, hardware, household items, dress-forms, coffee grinders, piano stools, vises, catalogues, advertisements, Remington Parkers, Parker Reproduction by Winchester, etc., etc. - and authored by Price, Mullins, Gunther, Parker, et al.
A must for anyone who is or plans to be a Parker collector.

Daryl Corona
07-01-2009, 11:01 PM
Bob,
I have the twin to your gun. 20ga.DHE,32", st grip, DT, splinter forend, skeletal bp, 1 frame and very high stock dimensions. What is your sn? Mine is 235764.
Daryl

Bruce Day
07-02-2009, 11:51 AM
Bob, you have a wonderful Parker. I have three of these straight stock, high dimension Parkers, all 12ga's in 28, 30 and 32" barrel lengths and appreciate how Parker designed and made them. I hear the uninformed go on about Parkers having too much drop. Some do , but a lot do not.

Destry L. Hoffard
07-08-2009, 03:26 PM
For all you smallbore duck gun fans: I've found a small gunshop here in Michigan that has a decent stock of Bismuth Cartridge Company 3 inch 20 gauge shells in 2, 4, and a few 6 shot sizes. The price is $35 for a box of 25 shells, these are not 10 packs. That's a great deal, you can't touch the new Bismaxx stuff for that kind of money. If anybody wants some let me know, I'll pick them up next time I'm down there.

Destry