PDA

View Full Version : Parkers for Argentina Waterfowl

Don Kaas
06-17-2009, 10:05 AM
In a few weeks we have a party of four heading down Argentine way for some duck hunting- five days in southern Buenos Aires Province near San Miguel del Monte. It seems that at least three of us will have Parkers along. Russ Bickel is taking a #2 frame 32" 12g DHE and a 0 frame 30" 20g DHE. I'm told Don Horneff is taking a 16g DHE (and a K20 Krieghoff) and I intend to take a #1 frame 32" 16g P grade toplever hammergun #94011 choked .020 in both tubes from 1900 (my other "new" gun will be a 32" 8lb Krupp barreled A.H. Fox CE 12g choked .034/.034 from 1912). I always find shotgun selection for these trips to be the most difficult part of of going on them...too many shotguns to choose from...My default choice is usually a Model 21 Magnum in either 12 or 20 or both but this often causes discord in the gun safe. This time I thought a hammergun would be a good choice and I also wanted to take one small gauge. I vacillated between a lovely little Pieper 29" steel barreled 20g hammer and the Parker 16g but push time came and the Parker won out. I would have loved to take my new 34" 12gauge CHE but it is in the shop so the big (but not too big) Fox made the final list...

Destry L. Hoffard
06-17-2009, 12:48 PM
You're breaking my heart, I wish I was going with you boys this year. Commissions have been a bit light so I just couldn't rake it together this summer. Last summer down there was like heaven, it's a paradise for the duck hunter. Next year again for sure!!!

Destry

Don Kaas
06-22-2009, 12:39 PM
Well, funny how things change:eek: The A.H. Fox CE has developed a problem and the outfitter tells us that 16g shells are problematic...:cuss: My entire Guns for Argentina scheme must be revamped. It looks like the 32" damascus #2 frame DH will be making the trip afterall along with a Model 21 Duck...so much for the hammergun idea...

Destry L. Hoffard
06-22-2009, 01:52 PM
That's too bad, sorry to hear it. They said last year that any gauge other than 10 wasn't a problem. Even weirdo stuff like 32 and 28 if you wanted to bring it.

DLH

Don Kaas
06-22-2009, 02:36 PM
Apparently, Argentine law permits a gun owner to buy ammunition only for the gauge or caliber gun he has a permit for...at the moment no one in Monte has a 16g so they can't send anyone to buy the ammo...The ammo itslef is available...anyway this is the story....:banghead:

Destry L. Hoffard
06-22-2009, 02:43 PM
Odd

Bill Davis
06-22-2009, 03:40 PM
Having shot in Argentina and Uruguay a number of times, I found my M21 20 bore to be a good match for the duck shooting. Shooting 1 oz of lead 5's, it neatly accounted for limits on each excursion, without any difficulty. The birds decoyed nicely and shots were mostly within 30 yards. Using thin wall briley's I used IC and mod or mod and imp. mod for all my shooting. You don't need full or extra full for these birds. 12 bore loads were 1 1/8oz--usually Fiocchis and they work very well too. I would consider using chokes up to
imp. mod in 12 bore. I'm not sure about using damascus barreled guns. I never saw any low pressure loads in SA. We went on multi specie trips--duck, pigeons, doves and perdiz. A 20 bore is nice for all of them. The pigeons can sometimes use some choke. They are tough birds and if not decoying well, can be a real challenge. Have a great trip. There is no better place in the world for volume wingshooting at a reasonable price!

Don Kaas
06-22-2009, 04:12 PM
Yes, I have been there a few times myself. I have taken my two barrel set 28/30" M21 20 gauge Magnum twice for both doves,pigeons and ducks and Perazzis and 12g M21s the other times. I have been in some very windy and cold situations in Argentina where a little more gun than a 26 gram 20 gauge load was called for ducks let alone geese but I agree a 20 is usually adequate. In NW Argentina a few years ago, most of our shooting turned out to be on the pass and the 20ga with standard local loads was at its limit.The Parker DH 20ga I mentioned previously is a #2 frame that weighs slightly more than 8 lbs with 3" chambers that handles non-toxic 3" magnum loads effortlessly here in NA. I do not expect the standard CIP loads in Argentina will give it a problem. It is choked .029 in both barrels. Generally, I prefer a full choke and longer range shooting. I usually bring 8 boxes of 20g 3" 1 1/4oz to tide me over for a day or two in this effort and then shoot them with their feet down after that.

Destry L. Hoffard
06-22-2009, 04:35 PM
Something else to remember is that, in Argentina, you're shooting all local ammo now. The Mirage and Fiocchi days are over due to new import taxes. They say the local stuff is much much better than it was a few years ago. That's all we shot and it seemed fine, killed birds well, but was very very dirty.

Destry

Don Kaas
06-22-2009, 06:31 PM
Destry- the Fiocchis are loaded in Argentina by Fiocchi South America, S.A.

Destry L. Hoffard
06-22-2009, 07:18 PM
They told us last year all they could get without paying big duty was the Argentinian brand "Killing Power" shells.

DLH