PDA

View Full Version : Close of Kansas Season, 29-31Jan

Bruce Day
02-01-2010, 04:42 PM
Western Kansas. 11" snow, 0-25 temp, windy.

Jim Hall, Larry Frey, Larry Thompson, Josh Lowensteiner, Charlie Herzog, Bruce Day. Good numbers of pheasants, saw many more, found 2-3 coveys of quail each day.

For those interested, the hammer gun is an A grade 16 with Parker added fluid steel Whitworth barrels. There was the usual assortment of C's, D's and a high condition Trojan 16 present.

Good friends and pleasant conversation. Stopped at Doc Van's house and saw him; he's recovering from an operation and was not able to make the hunt with us.

scott kittredge
02-01-2010, 04:54 PM
Great pics. wish i was there too scott

Dean Romig
02-01-2010, 08:47 PM
It looks like you fellas had a great time in spite of the cold. Judging by everyone's rosy cheeks it must have blown most of the time.

Larry, how's the ol' hip doing?

If I guess correctly who owns the A grade hammer gun do I win it??

Francis Morin
02-01-2010, 11:10 PM
Lotsa hunter orange- also open breeched guns- all part of safe gun handling, especially in a larger group of guys. I observed both Setter(s) and at least one black Lab-- just curious, do you fellows hunt both pointing and flushing dogs together, or do you alternate depending on the cover, weather and the stamina of both hunters and their dogs??

I've seen a few fine looking Parker hammer guns, and the engraved fences and the fishtailed top lever are elegant, to say the least. A 16- rebarreled with proof steel tubes- huum- might have to try one at a clays shoot someday- but then, I'd just want to own one all the more-- Road to perdition and all that--

Didn't see former Veep Richard Cheney in the mix- his invite must have gotten "lost in the mails" perhaps:rotf::duck:

Bruce Day
02-02-2010, 08:19 AM
Thats a black and white Llewellin setter.

I would be honored to have VP Cheney hunt with us, but I do not know him directly.

The A 16 is a former DuPont estate gun. I suspect another might be a little difficult to find.

Larry Frey
02-02-2010, 10:28 AM
The cold temps, constant wind, and fresh snow was challenging but the hunting was still fantastic. The ground we hunted included standing crops of milo and corn as well as shelter belts and thousands of acres of crp. We saw lots of birds (pheasants and quail) each day even managed to Parkerize a few. Kansas like some of its neighbors in the west is truly a sportsman’s paradise.

Bruce Day
02-02-2010, 02:25 PM
xxxx

Bruce Day
02-02-2010, 02:55 PM
xxx

Bruce Day
02-04-2010, 10:56 AM
We will try to put together a hunt with our friend Dez Young ( Hunting with Hank/Dash). We've been meaning to do this for a couple years now and haven't done it. We could get Parkers on a televised show. We'll see Dez again in a couple weeks.

Dean Romig
02-04-2010, 12:02 PM
Whoa Bruce, Hold it... DON'T pull them triggers :eek:

Bruce Day
02-04-2010, 01:00 PM
Whoa Bruce, Hold it... DON'T pull them triggers :eek:

Dean, I went through a deep snow drift, dragged the muzzles and got them buried in snow right at a place where we often have pheasant flushes. A couple buddies called out the same warning to me, however, I knew I had likely stuck the barrels in the snow and Charlie took the photo to show it. Demonstrates how easily it can happen.

As a side comment, we had many pheasants disappear into ground holes when pressed by the dogs. Many birds were buried in the snow and did not want to flush until almost kicked out.

We came upon a golden eagle that had a bird on the ground. Always thrilling to see these big western eagles.

Josh Loewensteiner
02-06-2010, 03:10 PM
This was a great hunt. Thanks so much for putting it together, Bruce.

We had a great time and laughed so hard one night that one of the guys caught laughing asthma (if there is such a thing!)

Mike Shepherd
02-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Bruce great pictures and story. Thanks for posting it.

Best,

Mike

Kenny Graft
02-15-2010, 08:11 AM
It was good to see Kansas in the snow...I have been there two times both in nov-dec with no snow on the ground. We plan to go this nov-dec again...its a great trip back in time. Ohio was just like Kansas when I was a kid....Oh about 1965 till 1975 then it ended and has never rebounded. I mist the best part of that couse I was too little....thats what my big brother told me anyway..)-:....in north east ohio you have a hard time finding a rabbit now! Wish we could trade all them turkeys for pheasants,quail and grouse! Thanks for them good pictures....I could feel the bit in the wind and smell that fresh Kansas air!

Bruce Day
02-15-2010, 09:23 AM
We had a north wind and in one place, we were hunting south of a large feedlot, so yes we could smell that fresh Kansas air.

Harry Collins
02-15-2010, 11:35 AM
Bruce,

We farm boys love the "smell" of future money....

Harry

Jack Cronkhite
02-15-2010, 08:19 PM
Bruce: Thanks for the post. Green with envy for the length of your season. It looks pretty much like home for me as far as the habitat goes. Couple very nice birds, as well as nice guns.

CHARLIE would like to help with the deep cover birds.
Cheers,
Jack

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/cpg1410/albums/userpics/28884/normal_IMG_5832sgw.jpg

calvin humburg
02-15-2010, 08:25 PM
Harry,
You darn right we do. Best to you! ch