PDA

View Full Version : Identification and value help request

Joe Q
01-30-2010, 01:22 AM
Hi, my not so computer savy neighbor inherited this Parker gun and I can't figure out what it is. Hopefully you can see attached pictures and let me know what it is. It appears to be an 18 guage with "Laminated Steel Barrels" engraved on the top of the barrels. Barrels are approximately 40 inches and it appears to be a double hammer black powder gun. It also looks to have been covered with a lacquer of some kind in a very shabby way.

Thank you... Joe

Dean Romig
01-30-2010, 05:38 AM
Joe, hate to dash your neighbor' dreams but his "Parker" is not a fine American double made in Meriden, CT. under the name Parker Bros. It is one of many poorly made guns from Belgium or near there that capitalized on the name Parker and shipped here to be sold to the unsuspecting masses. Don't even think about shooting that gun. I see abuse and lack of care and proper maintenance on that gun.

Destry L. Hoffard
01-30-2010, 11:34 AM
That's got to be an interesting looking gun at least. An 18 bore muzzle loader with 40 inch barrels???!!!

Destry

Harry Collins
01-30-2010, 11:41 AM
I would love to have something like that if in better condition. I havan English 14 gauge I gave the "Firestone Test" and shoot when I have the time...

Harry

Joe Q
01-30-2010, 12:00 PM
Oh yes he is going to be super bummed at this news as he was planning on selling this gun to pay some bills. Can any of you put a value on it? It is very poor condition and as the pic's show, has been soldered and covered in a lacquer of some kind.

Thanks again... Joe

Russ Jackson
01-30-2010, 12:46 PM
Sad to say ,its probably a $100.00 ,over the Fire Place , Mantle cover ! Like Destry , I would think a very interesting looking gun ! Just imagine if it were a Parker Brothers gun !

Destry L. Hoffard
01-30-2010, 01:52 PM
Dean,

Maybe I'm crazy as the pics are a little grainy, but I believe that's a british proof mark isn't it?

In that shape, if the stock isn't all busted, a couple hundred bucks would probably wear it out if you could find somebody looking for something to hang over the fire place.

Destry

Joe Q
01-30-2010, 02:30 PM
Thanks to all of you for your expertise, I would never try to fire this thing but it does look very cool. I may pick it up from him and clean it up for a display piece if he has the presence to come back to reality on what it is actually worth.

You guy's are both great, thank you again for the help... Joe

Dean Romig
01-30-2010, 08:55 PM
Dean,
Maybe I'm crazy as the pics are a little grainy, but I believe that's a british proof mark isn't it?
Destry

I really can't make them out but you would certainly know better than I in recognizing British proof marks so I'll gladly defer to you on that.

Jack Cronkhite
02-21-2010, 12:43 AM
Destry: Think you are right. Looks like the second down in the British marks. This is an excerpt from here (http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:iW5Wu4wBE-oJ:www.phoenixinvestmentarms.com/archives/Proofmarks.pdf+a4ph+belgium+proof+mark&hl=en&gl=ca&sig=AHIEtbQfa0qgBq1x0mchsDlFc8E7Cxnq6A)

http://docs.google.com/viewer?q=cache%3AiW5Wu4wBE-oJ%3Awww.phoenixinvestmentarms.com%2Farchives%2FPr oofmarks.pdf%20a4ph%20belgium%20proof%20mark&docid=b6102cb66c845d417ff573fdef67d8fa&a=bi&pagenumber=2&w=800