PDA

View Full Version : evaluating FIL's Parker

Gene Baker
01-28-2010, 04:47 PM
I inherited this Parker double 12, hammerless, damascus barrels. It was mfd in 1905 at Meriden Conn., and is grade 2. I'm trying to attach pix, but having connection problems. Things seem to be going well, then I get an error message.

I'm wondering what it might be worth, as I am considering selling it. It's not a particularly fancy gun, but in pretty good shape and doesn't look abused.

Thanks for any opinions, (if I can get the pix to post.)

Gene Baker

Gene Baker
01-28-2010, 05:06 PM
Here are a couple of pix.

Gene Baker
01-28-2010, 05:14 PM
another one.

Harry Collins
01-28-2010, 05:44 PM
Gene,

What is the serial number? It is located ot the trigger guard. What are the barrels length. Does it have a dogs head butt plate? When you look down the bores are they bright and shiney or is it dark with pits/specks?

Thanks, Harry

Gene Baker
01-28-2010, 06:34 PM
Harry,

The SN is 133405. Barrels are 32" long, and it does have the dog's head on the buttplate. To my untrained eye, the bores look to be in good shape, shiney and I don't see any pitting. Serial numbers all match as far as I can see.

Thanks

Gene

Pat Dugan
01-28-2010, 08:02 PM
Because the barrels are longer than most a value of $400 to $800

Good luck

PDD

Dean Romig
01-28-2010, 08:37 PM
Considering the position of the lever and the overall appearance of the gun along with your description of the bores I would double both the low estimate and the high estimate of Pat's appraisal.

Gene Baker
01-28-2010, 11:44 PM
Dean,

What does the position of the lever indicate?

Thanks,

Gene

Dean Romig
01-29-2010, 05:03 AM
Sometimes it means that there might be crud or particles in the latching mechanism or action enough to prevent it from closing completely but in a clean well cared for gun it means that it hasn't been abused and closes tightly. When the gun was new the lever was likely just a bit more to the right than it is now. In some guns that were used hard the lever may be centered or a bit to the left and still not lock up tightly. The lever operates the bolt which engages the bolt plate on the rear of the barrel lug. They are set at a slight taper under a spring load. As the gun wears through use these tapered surfaces wear against each other and as this happens the lever gradually comes closer to center and even to the left of center in extreme cases.

Bill Murphy
01-29-2010, 09:45 AM
It looks like a nice gun, and I agree with Dean's appraisal, barring any problems that we haven't seen. We're not allowed to promote gun sales on here, so if your posts or the thread are deleted, just start a new thread and don't mention that the gun may be for sale. Heavy 32" barrel Parker guns are very popular right now. Let us know your area and we may be able to put you in touch with a member who can properly evaluate your gun for you.

Gene Baker
01-29-2010, 12:10 PM
I'm in NW Illinois in the Dixon/Polo area.

Harry Collins
01-29-2010, 01:24 PM
Gene,

Many of us here would love to have a Parker that was passed down through the family. You might consider keeping it just because it belonged to granddaddy or a great uncle. I have four Parkers from family and they are in my will to the next generation. I sure hope they keep them and pass them to their children.

Harry

Gene Baker
01-29-2010, 08:29 PM
That's a good point, Harry. My only problem with that is that we have no children, and none of our nephews or nieces have any interest that I know of. I think a piece of history like a Parker deserves a home where it is appreciated, and maybe even used for its intended purpose once in awhile. Probably only a lover of Parker doubles would pay nearly the appraised value. I wouldn't want it to be used as an umbrella rack.

Bill Murphy
01-30-2010, 10:13 AM
You can sell a gun over on doublegunshop.com and pay the moderator ten bucks if it sells. Big audience over there.

Gene Baker
01-31-2010, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the information, Bill. I might give that a try after I get a little better educated on this gun.