PDA

View Full Version : Shield inlay cost

Pete Savage
01-24-2010, 07:18 PM
So I bought my first Parker yesterday; a 16ga VH made in 1904. The gun has been either re-stocked or just repaired at the wrist - the receiver protrudes very slightly from the bottom where is meets the stock and the first 1/2 inch of wood is a bit darker color that the fore-end and the grip/butt section. Also, the small shield is missing from the underside of the butt stock.

Even though the gun is a hunting gun that I will be using for upland game, I want it to look as authentic as I can get it. So I just ordered a replacement shield inlay in nickel and new reproduction rubber recoil pad; the one on it now is an old redhead model that is cracked and dried out plus I need a little longer pull.

My question for a more learned man out there is how much should I expect to pay to have these two items installed by a pro?

I've had minor gunsmith work done before on modern guns and tinkered on my own stuff that I knew how to fix but this is my first "classic" double and I'm not going to mess with an inlay. The recoil pad I think I could do myself; I did one on a Savage 311-a that I paid $120 for at a gun show but in this case I think it would be safer to have a pro do it.

I have no idea how much I'm looking at in regards to cost though. Thanks in advance.

Harry Collins
01-24-2010, 07:25 PM
I would have a pro do both. I think $100 should cover it.

Harry