PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have this 1929 catalog?

Kurt Densmore
06-16-2009, 11:23 PM
I am wondering if it is original or a reproduction?

Don Kaas
06-17-2009, 10:49 AM
I have a repro of this catalog. (flying geese-red cover)There are a lot of them around.

Jeff Kuss
06-17-2009, 07:57 PM
I have an original. Does it have the green embrossed cover? I assume it is the larger 1929 catalog.
Jeff

Kurt Densmore
06-17-2009, 08:54 PM
Yes, for some reason I couldn't get it to load up last night...

Jeff Kuss
06-17-2009, 10:48 PM
Original.
Jeff

Bill Murphy
06-18-2009, 09:13 AM
Kurt, the 1929 green catalog has been reproduced with the textured cover. It is hard to determine which you have. I don't know how to do it. Other variations of the 1926, 1929, and 1930 green catalog have also been reproduced, but one of the ones I have is a dead ringer for a 1929 original, including the color shading on the interior pages. My opinion is that ebay sales have included some sales of this repro as original. Be careful.

Kurt Densmore
06-20-2009, 09:46 PM
Kurt, the 1929 green catalog has been reproduced with the textured cover. It is hard to determine which you have. I don't know how to do it. Other variations of the 1926, 1929, and 1930 green catalog have also been reproduced, but one of the ones I have is a dead ringer for a 1929 original, including the color shading on the interior pages. My opinion is that ebay sales have included some sales of this repro as original. Be careful.

Bill, How long ago would these have been reproduced?? Long enough for the staples to get a little rust in the interior? Would the staples of reproductions be round or flat?

Bill Murphy
06-22-2009, 09:00 AM
The staples on my 1929 repro catalog are rusty and appear to be round. I don't know whose repro it is, but it has "Reprint" stamped in red ink inside the back cover. I have seen others with no stamp. Most Lightner repros have Lightner stamps. The guns in my repro have black stocks, while the stocks in the originals are brown. I don't know exactly when various repros were printed. I'm sure some were available as early as the sixties. Think about it this way: When the repro catalogs were getting started, Parker shotguns had been out of production for fewer years than Japanese Parker Repros have been out of production today.

Kurt Densmore
06-22-2009, 11:57 PM
Thanks for the information Bill. Sounds like it could be a repro if the black vs. brown wood holds to be the norm...Other than that there is no stamping or any other marking that would tell the reader that it is a reproductoin.

Kurt

The staples on my 1929 repro catalog are rusty and appear to be round. I don't know whose repro it is, but it has "Reprint" stamped in red ink inside the back cover. I have seen others with no stamp. Most Lightner repros have Lightner stamps. The guns in my repro have black stocks, while the stocks in the originals are brown. I don't know exactly when various repros were printed. I'm sure some were available as early as the sixties. Think about it this way: When the repro catalogs were getting started, Parker shotguns had been out of production for fewer years than Japanese Parker Repros have been out of production today.

Mitch Simmons
07-13-2009, 02:43 PM
Does anyone know how often Parker produced catalogs? Since my gun is from 1918, I would like to have a catalog from the year, but have only found repros from the years1913 and 1926.

Bill Murphy
07-13-2009, 03:13 PM
The catalog closest to 1918 is the Flying Ducks catalog reproduced by Ed Muderlak. It is usually available on ebay and is a wonderful, quality reproduction. It is in a large format as is the original, with many illustrations.

Mitch Simmons
07-13-2009, 03:39 PM
Many thanks Mr. Murphy!