PDA

View Full Version : Parker Bros 12 Gauge SxS Questions

Neil Mittie
01-22-2010, 11:25 PM
Hello all, I have this parker bros. 12 gauge that is missing the for-end iron and wood. I am curious what this piece would be worth in its condition and after if it was restored. If you know someone that can restore it that would also help. Also has some minor scratching on one side of the stock and an aftermarket pad. And sorry if the pictures aren't the greatest my camera has trouble with the fine pictures.

Ed Blake
01-23-2010, 07:47 AM
You have a V-grade that's been customized. None of the checkering or engaving is original. In regards to a replacement forend, the "loop" on the barrels that holds the forend on does not look right to me. If for some reason that has been replaced, you'll have a hard time trying to get one to fit. I would leave it alone and not put any more money in it.

Harry Collins
01-23-2010, 08:06 AM
Neil,

Ed is correct. The wood and engraving on this Parker are not original to the gun. The forend lug is absent because, I am sure, a beavertail forend had replaced the original splinter forend and when the gun was used without the reinforced lug that Parker used on their beavertailed forends it gave way. If this is a family gun and you want to keep it and use it I would send it to Larry DelGrego. He can replace the forend lug and forend. When Remington abandoned the Parker as a production gun, DelGrego purchased all the remaining Parker Parts. Sadly, your Parker is not worth $500.00 to a collector.

Kindest, Harry

Patrick Lien
01-23-2010, 01:51 PM
Those barrels look like they may be vent rib to me. If these are in fact Parker vent rib barrels then just tell me where to send the $500. Could you take a picture of the rib inscription and the top of the frame at the breech.

thank you
Patrick

Francis Morin
01-23-2010, 07:26 PM
I could see the gauge stamp, but not frame size- My guess is No. 2 as to the weight stamp- Patrick has "sniper eyesight"- good call- the rib is barely seen in shadow on the open case- if that is a factory original Parker ventilated rib and NOT an after market Simmons- huum--all kinds of possibilities- The other members are correct- the buttstock and the "upgraded engraving" are not factory for a VH- a later period gun as judged by the 201xxx sn range--??:bigbye:

Dean Romig
01-23-2010, 10:35 PM
Too bad about that Parker... a 32" straight grip with no extras according to the ID & Ser. book.

Bill Murphy
01-24-2010, 09:22 AM
As I posted on the other thread, this gun could be an easy restoration after you find an old forend. Use our Parts for Sale section to locate one. Send the gun and forend to Keith Kearcher who should have a forend lug in his junk box and will install it on your gun for a reasonable price. Sorry, but my friend Mr. Del Grego would value a complete forend way too highly to make it a good choice for a cheap restoration. Someone here has an old #2 frame forend sitting around gathering dust. Send us pictures of the top of the barrels and a good side view of the barrels and rib.

Bill Murphy
01-24-2010, 01:43 PM
Jim Akins over on the other forum has indicated that he has forearms. Give him your measurements and then call Keith Kearcher. Others may have forearm lugs and be able to do the job, but KK will finish you up for the least money and quickest.