PDA

View Full Version : Pinehurst Gun Club NC.

Gary Cripps
02-06-2014, 01:57 PM
Any information available re: Ed C. Scherer of Waukesha, Wi.? I tried without success to navigate the la84 site. Was he the Class AA 1966 champ? And what does ROCCA stand for?
Found a nice leather bag with the information that generates the questions.

Dean Romig
02-06-2014, 02:47 PM
I'd say that Scherer was the maker of the bag and that Rocca was the owner.

Bill Murphy
02-06-2014, 03:28 PM
Ed Scherer was a famous skeet shooter, military man, flier, skeet instructor, writer, bird hunter and more. He was lost on a grouse hunt in Canada a decade or two ago. No sign of him was ever found. His hobby in retirement and earlier was leather work for shooters. This is one of his bags. Pinehurst was a club for skeet and trap shooters, so this badge/trophy could be for either, although Annie Oakley was more affiliated with trap. Annie Oakley was an instructor at Pinehurst Gun Club and probably had a shoot named for her.

Gary Cripps
02-06-2014, 03:35 PM
Thank You Bill. It is amazing that you come up with so much information so quickly.
Gary

Rich Anderson
02-06-2014, 04:56 PM
Bill I remember when he dissapeared while Grouse hunting. His dog and gun never materialized anywhere either as I recall. It gives one who wanders big country for game pause.

Bill Murphy
02-07-2014, 07:33 AM
Yup, pause. Unless old Ed had difficulties on the domestic scene or with the tax man. Ed was a very high average NSSA shooter, once was a member of Wayne Mayes' squad in the late eighties and early nineties. He was the first skeet writer and instructor who clearly explained sustained lead and the use of occluders for those with eye dominance problems. Ed came to our club, National Capital Skeet and Trap, for the North South shoot every June and not only shot, but set up his leather goods display and ran clinics. He was a busy man, would have made a good preacher.

Daryl Corona
02-07-2014, 08:17 AM
I watched Ed shoot at our local club at the Harry Wright skeet shoot many years ago. Bill might remember that. I thought he was lost in the Dolly sods in W. Va. but I could be mistaken.

Bill Murphy
02-07-2014, 03:17 PM
Daryl reminded me that Ed Scherer, like Wayne and his squad, loved to shoot in Maryland. The Harry Wright Open, at Daryl's club, and shoots at the Talbot Rod and Gun Club in Easton, were annual treks for the big boys, even if the money wasn't all that good. We think they came for the food.

John Dallas
02-07-2014, 04:37 PM
Here's a discussion about Scherer off the Trapshooters Website:
http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/thread_archive.cfm?threadid=260524&Messages=28
Bill Murphy was stirring the pot several years ago when this was posted

Bill Murphy
02-07-2014, 08:39 PM
That is a great thread and a great tribute to "man's knowledge of man". Yes, I stirred the pot with one post, but you would have to go over on shotgunworld.com, skeet subforum to see how much the pot was stirred. I knew Ed pretty well and teased him in death as much as in life. In my opinion, he is still alive, living on the Eastern Shore, and shooting a warm weather goose or two when he gets the itch.