PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice on Old Parker Ad handling protocol

John Gardner
02-04-2014, 02:30 AM
What is the preferred conservation, archiving, method for original era Parker ads and maximizing material value if any?

Do you conserve the whole page of the magazine, trim out the name and date of the periodical and include (like in a framed format) if the title and date not on same page as the ad?

I see in the Parker Story they display the ad(s) and then footnote where it was placed originally and the date.

If you frame an ad, better to do so individually or can you frame a collection?

Aside from trade cards, calendars, and posters, and catalogs are there any colour Parker ads out there? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Bill Murphy
02-04-2014, 04:28 PM
In my opinion, there is no material value to "Parker Ads". Do what you want to make you happy, cut them out, copy them, frame them, enlarge them, colorize them, you name it. The original ad is still not worth more than one you enlarge and print from an ebay sale. Try to find some original Parker paper, which comes up for sale at PGCA events and double gun events, as well as on ebay. I don't cut up my original sporting publications, but doing so probably doesn't affect their value, if there is any. I love them, (the early sporting publications) but they are a bit of a hard sell, in my opinion.

Gary Carmichael Sr
02-04-2014, 05:56 PM
John, Bill is right about adds in publications look for original catalogues etc they are out there but buyer beware some reproductions look just like originals, Gary

John Gardner
02-04-2014, 11:37 PM
I too enjoy the old magazines and newspapers as they act like a mini time machine when you read about products or activities in the language of the day.

Sounds like it's best to frame up for display what I like from duplicate magazines/papers and then keep the better copy of the neat old magazines intact and use an index for ads or articles on Parkers.

Thanks Gentlemen.