PDA

View Full Version : Grandfather-in-law's Parker Bros Shotgun

Gary Kaufman
01-19-2014, 11:40 AM
A number of years ago I was given a Parker Bros shotgun which belonged to my wife's grandfather. It has serial number 126236 16 ga (I believe 1904) with 0 size frame. The grade is G and the barrels are Damascus. I believe it has ejectors. The barrels are clean. There is no color on the gun but the metal is in very good condition. No replacement parts or repair work. Screws are all in excellent condition. I can remember about 25 years ago my wife's cousin tried to "horse trade" me out of it so I figured it must be worth something. I would greatly appreciate any help in trying to determine the value. Happy to post pictures as soon as I can figure out how to do it.

Many thanks

Rick Losey
01-19-2014, 11:51 AM
welcome to the board

that should be a G with 28 inch barrels

Good clear pictures will allow opinions on the gun, true value is best determined with the gun in hand

also- as a note- only PGCA members are allowed to offer a gun for sale on the board, in the members only area.

I think many of us would love to see good pics of an 0 frame 16 G damascus gun

Gary Kaufman
01-19-2014, 01:57 PM
Thanks for your help. I've attached some photos which may help. Not a great photographer but should give you a better idea.

Again, thanks for your reply.

Rich Anderson
01-19-2014, 05:30 PM
I think many of us would love to see good pics of an 0 frame 16 G damascus gun

Just for you Rick...why?.....because I care. A DH 16 0 frame damascuss. If you need/want more I'm happy to indulge your fantacies...who said the holiday's are over?:rotf:

Rich Anderson
01-19-2014, 05:35 PM
Gary you have a very nice Parker and a family heirloom to be proud of. Somewhere along the line it has probably been restocked as the checkering pattern isn't correct. Who ever did the work used a nice piece of wood and did a great job. You have a Parker to be proud of. If you post a pic of the bottom of the foram off the gun we can tell you if it has ejectors.

charlie cleveland
01-19-2014, 07:48 PM
nice gun for sure and a great piece of wood...lovely gun...charlie

Eldon Goddard
01-19-2014, 08:11 PM
What is the barrel length?

Gary Kaufman
01-20-2014, 05:45 PM
The barrel length is 28 inches. I was wrong about the ejectors (I'm learning more due to help from members). It has extractors.

Just curious, the fit on the stock of wood to metal is perfect. Is it possible that this is a custom gun? Don't know if Parker took custom orders. Just a thought.

Many thanks for all help and replies

Gary

Dean Romig
01-20-2014, 06:36 PM
It is highly unlikely that either the stock or checkering were done by Parker Bros. It was obviously done a long time ago and has had a good amount of use since. Whoever did the stock was a true craftsman and he did a great job.
The grade of American Black Walnut appears to be appropriate for the Grade 2 Parker of that period and the buttplate appears to have the spur.

I will stick my neck out however, and say that the wood could very well be the original stock wood but if so, the checkering and nose of the comb would have been recut to what you show.

edgarspencer
01-20-2014, 07:02 PM
Gary, This is_________'s (insert wifes name)Grandfather. I want my gun back.

Dean Romig
01-20-2014, 07:18 PM
Uh-Oh..... Here we go...... :corn:

Gary Kaufman
01-20-2014, 10:56 PM
Be happy to give it back but we would have to dig him up to do so. Had the pleasure of meeting him before my wife and I were married. He was best known for being the captain of the 1895 Northwestern football team - and the owner of a Parker Brothers shotgun.

Gary

edgarspencer
01-21-2014, 02:31 AM
I can save you the trouble Gary. I'm nearly dead now, so if you want me to take it to him, send it to me, and I'll be sure my wife sticks in my coffin, along with a couple off my Parkers. In fact, if anyone else would like their guns reunited with the departed, let me know.