PDA

View Full Version : Datr & History Parker made in 1893

HerbMoore
01-15-2014, 07:59 PM
OK guys. New to this site. Inherited a Parker I have traced to an 1893 model Serial number 78XXX). Now i would like to trace the ownership and history of this particular Shotgun (12 ga Double barrel hammerless Damascus steel).Since I'm a novice, I need help and guidance to complete the task.

Robin Lewis
01-15-2014, 08:16 PM
A good place to start would be the main page at www.parkerguns.org and click on the list of links that are on the main page's left side. You will find lots there. plug in the ser# and you will find when it was produced and if there are existing records for it (and how to get them if you want).

If you post the ser# someone will see if its in the ser# book and report its configuration when it left the factory.

HerbMoore
01-15-2014, 08:46 PM
The full serial number is 78638. The main page is where I entered the serial number and got the date of 1893. I'll check that again and see if I can get further info on tracing the history of the gun. Thanks

Robin Lewis
01-15-2014, 08:58 PM
It books as a 12ga DH grade with 28 inch damascus barrels and a capped pistol grip stock. Click on Parker ID through FAQ links as well as Parker Letter link. You should get the basic stuff there.

HerbMoore
01-15-2014, 09:10 PM
You guys are great...... and fast with replies. Thanks. I'll post the progress. Family history (as accurate as family histories go) has the gun as owned by a plantation owner in South Carolina who was a famous actress, who sold the gun to my uncle. Will be interesting to see if the family history has any resemblance to any existing Parker records. Thanks.

George Lander
01-17-2014, 07:18 PM
That will be interesting. Which plantation? I have the history on most of them.

Best Regards, George

HerbMoore
01-21-2014, 09:27 AM
George, the plantation is Hutton Plantation. It is about 25 or 30 miles south of Charleston off US Highway 17, once owned by Barbara Hutton. Beautiful place with the main house on a high bluff overlooking the river.

David Dwyer
01-21-2014, 01:17 PM
Mills
Are you familiar with that one? I am not but, obviously that would not have been the original name.
David

Mills Morrison
01-21-2014, 01:30 PM
Yes I am. That is right next to my Uncle Hugh's place on the Edisto River. The Huttons also owned a place on the Combahee River

HerbMoore
01-21-2014, 11:49 PM
Would that uncle be Hugh Lane? My father-in-law has known a Hugh Lane for years and I remember being introduced to him at one plantation years back. Interesting.....

George Lander
01-21-2014, 11:59 PM
George, the plantation is Hutton Plantation. It is about 25 or 30 miles south of Charleston off US Highway 17, once owned by Barbara Hutton. Beautiful place with the main house on a high bluff overlooking the river.

Herb: Right you are. The plantation was originally called "OAKHURST" It was composed of an island on the West bank of the Edisto River with ricefields and high land on the East bank near a settlement called Willtown. It was originally a land grant to William Livingston in 1714 and George Knatchbull in 1703. Heyward Manigault inherited OAKHURST from his brother just prior to the Civil War. E.F. Hutton bought three plantations: Prospect Hill, Rosemont and Oakhurst in 1927. He conveyed OAKHURST to Franklyn Hutton in 1934. He was married to Edna Woolworth, the daughter of Frank W. Woolworth of the dime store Woolworths. Their daughter, Barbara Hutton, inherited $28 million dollars from the Woolworth fortune at age 12. She married movie star Cary Grant. The house was destroyed by fire & is no longer standing. OAKHURST was sold to a British couple with family ties in the area.

This information comes from: "The Historical Atlas of the Rice Plantations of the ACE (Ashepoo, Combahee & Edisto) River Basin - 1860 by Suzanne Cameron Linder - 1995

Best Regards, George

Mills Morrison
01-22-2014, 08:13 AM
That is correct. Uncle Hugh was a great guy, once you got to know him

David Dwyer
01-22-2014, 08:26 AM
Mills
I had the pleasure of getting to know Hugh and felt he was a true gentleman
David