PDA

View Full Version : Somebody Please Pinch Me

Dean Romig
01-16-2010, 06:10 PM
A recent acquisition. 1935 Iver Johnson SKEET-ER .410 two-barrel-set in better than 90% original condition.

Christopher Lien
01-16-2010, 07:00 PM
Nice find Dean, great wood and should be lots of fun to shoot...;)

Best, CSL

Dave Suponski
01-16-2010, 08:03 PM
Showoff....Talk about being in the right place at the right time...SHESSH..

Rich Anderson
01-16-2010, 08:18 PM
Dean trust me on this..:duck: you are asking for frustration beyond belief with a 410. There just arn't enough pellets there for you to have even a remote chance of breaking a target with this gun.:nono:

As a friend (esp as it's not a Parker) to save you the humility and agony of defeat, the inward self doubt of your presumed abilities PLEASE send this to me at once and I'll redeme you the purchase price so you won't endure any economic loss on this your latest folly:rolleyes:

A nice find Dean...congrats:bigbye:

Russ Jackson
01-16-2010, 08:37 PM
Dean ;Congrats on a beautiful gun !!!!!!!!! A wonderful find , I was discussing the price of one of these also in 410 ,at a gun show a few years ago with the helper at a table ,the fella told me the price and I could have bought it right then and there ,but I wanted to see if I could save a few bucks , while waiting for the owner of the display table to return I made up my mind to buy the gun even if the owner of the table wouldn't take a couple of bucks off , when the owner of the display table came back ,I said I would like to discuss the gun with him ,he looked at the guy with him and said I told you it wouldn't last and the fella said he would take it , they had been making a deal on the gun ,there was more than one Pre 64 Model 70 and some cash traded ,and I missed the boat ! One I have always regretted !

Dean Romig
01-16-2010, 08:40 PM
Dave.... :violin:

Rich.... Sounds like a fair offer..... lemme think it over :shock:

Wednesday night I shot skeet under the lights and broke 19/25 low gun at every station.... having only ever shot skeet with a .410 Parker once before.
..... Incidentally, Today I offered to the owner of that Parker .410 an even trade but he declined..... oh, well... he had his chance :bigbye:

charlie cleveland
01-16-2010, 09:02 PM
consider your self pinched... you will have fun with that little gun. those little skeeters are pesky little things. charlie

E Robert Fabian
01-17-2010, 08:59 AM
Congrats Dean, great looking gun, tell us the barrel configurations.

Hope John has set the precedent on the sharing of 410's !!

Dean Romig
01-17-2010, 01:15 PM
Bob, both barrel sets are twenty-six inches; both barrel sets are numbered to the gun and are marked 1 and 2 as are both beavertail forends marked 1 and 2.
The #1 set of barrels are choked O and C which I understand are Open and Choke - this being the standard skeet choking for the Iver Johnson SKEET-ER.
The #2 set of barrels is choked C and M which I understand are Choke and Modified - possibly a field choke for this gun?

Rich Anderson
01-17-2010, 05:48 PM
Dean you are on thin ice with this .410 thing and the sun is a shining:eek:
I can see it now your scores plumet then the therapy and shooting lessons (which you need anyway so that might be a plus:rolleyes:) begin, then Prozac and Jack Daniels, more trauma and yet the scores plumet like the stock market of the Great Depression as you fall deeper into the abysis then Vallium and Gentalman Jack as you devle into a greater depression than the 1930's and to help with the pain Oxycoten and Single Barrel. Befor you know it you'll be shooting trap and using a release trigger!:nono:

Dean in the name of all thats holy and sacred send that infernal contraption to me and save yourself:crying:

Dave Suponski
01-17-2010, 06:05 PM
Rich,Maybe he would take the "Hollywood Gun" as a partial trade.....:rolleyes:

Rich Anderson
01-17-2010, 06:24 PM
The "Holywood Gun" as a trade:shock: An Iver Johnson can't hold a candle

to that gun, OMG what have you been drinking/smoking???

You forget that I have defended my Pajama title with the Holywood gun and will need it in the third round of this epic battle at the U.P. shoot. You may witness this bit of Parkerdom history as it's being created when you join us this coming fathers Day in Dah U.P. Eh

Dave Suponski
01-17-2010, 06:29 PM
Geez.. Just trying to help you guy's out..:rotf:

Dean Romig
01-17-2010, 10:11 PM
Rich, it sounds like an enjoyable ride down that slippery slope you're predicting. By the way, what's your shipping address??

Rich Anderson
01-18-2010, 08:19 PM
Dean there is nothing enjoyable about the trip you endevor to participate in. The 410 path is wrought with frustration, self doubt, and meloncoly not to mention the cost of ammunition.

All in all it's a high price to pay just to say you shoot at targets with the 410.
I have had decades of inexperience with the 410:banghead:

As an act of extreme friendship I'll take the infernal thing off your hands and save your shooting career:p

Dean Romig
01-18-2010, 08:59 PM
Rich, you're not paying attention.... re-read my post above yours.... okay, now read the second sentence.
Your lack of a response for 22 hours led me to believe you had lost interest in this .410 so I reluctantly gave it to someone else... sorry

Dave Suponski
01-18-2010, 11:12 PM
Thanks Dean that was very generous of you...:bowdown:

Rich Anderson
01-19-2010, 10:49 PM
What:shock::cuss::crying:!!!.....Yeah right...you know my address and I have a check all made out even allowing for a small profit or call it a finders fee...after all I am saveing your alleged shooting career:rotf:

When I started shooting the 410 I had hair!

Tim Kisieleski
01-20-2010, 09:56 PM
Dean, my nephew is looking forward to shooting it..... if he's good enough for Johns little damascus gun, he's certainly good enough for that little clunker

Dean Romig
01-20-2010, 10:08 PM
Ouch! :shock:

Of course he can shoot it :D

It has better adult dimensions than John's DH 20, having been made as a competition skeet gun.

Rich Anderson
01-21-2010, 07:15 AM
I didn't realize it was a "clunker":duck::duck:

Dean Romig
01-21-2010, 08:10 AM
Rich, you can use it at the SC course at Hausman's this year. Let me know if it clunks.

Donnie Reels
01-21-2010, 10:47 PM
Nice gun Dean I have an Iver Johnson Super Trap it always gets a lot of looks at the trap range. I heard there were about 1200 sketters in all. I never heard how many Super Traps were maid. Anyway you have a sweet little gun there . Donnie Reels

Dean Romig
01-21-2010, 11:20 PM
Thanks Donnie. From what I have read, about half of the Skeet-ers produced were .410s and the 16 ga was the rarest of all.
I got my information packet from Griffin & Howe today on this gun. What a wonderful job Bob Beach does on these "letters" - Thank you so much Bob! It was sold new in September of 1935 for the hefty sum of $43.26 plus $17.50 for the Miller selective single trigger but there was no mention of the second set of barrels and forend... however, in 1944 when this gun was once again sold by G&H as a used gun for $60 I think we can safely assume the higher price included the second set of barrels.
I had hoped this gun might have been purchased by a shooter of note but, alas - it was not. Oddly, Van Campen Heilner (author of "A Book on Duck Shooting") bought an Iver Johnson .410 Skeeter with 28" barrels choked Mod/Mod from G&H just three Skeeter .410s after mine... (decoying ducks?? . . . Naah, I doubt it.)

Larry Frey
01-22-2010, 09:09 AM
I had hoped this gun might have been purchased by a shooter of note but, alas - it was not. Oddly, Van Campen Heilner (author of "A Book on Duck Shooting") bought an Iver Johnson .410 Skeeter with 28" barrels choked Mod/Mod from G&H just three Skeeter .410s after mine... (decoying ducks?? . . . Naah, I doubt it.)[/QUOTE]

Dean,
If your gun was ordered by a "shooter of note" it would likely not be in such high condition.

Dean Romig
01-22-2010, 09:24 AM
You're absolutely right Larry. I had that same thought, but ya just never know...

Fred Preston
01-22-2010, 11:54 AM
Dean, I used the Turkish .410 double I got last summer on preserve pheasants this season, along with my trojan 16. It clearly had a higher percentage of "dead in the air" hits than the Trojan in my hands. It will really lock on and smack them out to 30-35 yards. It's nominally choked Mod/full with 3" chambers and will pattern a killing density with 11/16ths oz. of #6s, 5or6 pieces, in a bird at forty yards.

Rich Anderson
01-22-2010, 05:06 PM
Dean-I will look forward to shooting a round with it:bowdown:

Dean Romig
01-22-2010, 09:31 PM
It should fit you pretty well Rich. It fits me like it was made for me and you're not that much scrawnier than me so it should be okay for you. I'll set you up with ammo for it or cookies, but not both - so you decide... :biglaugh:

Dave Suponski
01-22-2010, 10:33 PM
Now wait just one damn minute...that cookie stealin old man doesn't deserve ANY cookies in fact he doesn't deserve to shoot the "Skeeter" either..:cuss:

Dean Romig
01-22-2010, 10:44 PM
Oh-oh...

Rich called me tonight and in cranky ol' curmudgeonly fashion gave me kind of a left-handed compliment on the nice find. . . sort of.

So, I thought I could kinda drag him out of his cave by offering 'the hand of kindness' (for what it's worth) in terms of the only two things he holds dear . . . more ammo and a half-dozen delectable cookies from Kathy's ovens. (remember, one or the other)

Rich Anderson
01-23-2010, 09:53 AM
As I can load my own 410 ammo but can't bake cookies or anything else for that matter I'll take the Cookies:shock:. chocolate chip please.:)

I'll even let you shoot a round with the Holywood gun.

Dave you and junior need to keep better tabs of your "inventory" less someone walks off (or drives off:p) with it. It's your own fault:eek:

Dave Suponski
01-23-2010, 05:55 PM
But I thought that Parker people who were travelling in my vehicle were not supposed to pilfer my cookie inventory....foolish me..:rolleyes: But thats Ok I am still enjoying some of Kathy's cookies she made for us boys at the Greenwich Show...:bigbye:

Robin Lewis
01-23-2010, 06:31 PM
What!!:eek:!!! I was at the Greenwich show and I didn't see any cookies:crying:.

Dave Suponski
01-23-2010, 06:54 PM
It's all Deans fault...

Dean Romig
01-23-2010, 10:42 PM
They were all in a bag against the wall behind the tables - probably five-dozen of them - I'm sorry I didn't bring them out... just never thought of it.

Dave Suponski
01-24-2010, 08:56 AM
I apologize also Robin.Once Larry and I found them we beat'em up pretty good....:rolleyes:

Chuck Heald
02-24-2010, 12:11 PM
Dean,
I can see Rich is a close friend. So I really think you'd be doing a big disservice by frustrating him if you offered that 410 to him. Since you hardly know me, feel free to toss me under the bus and send that nearly worthless (negotiations have started:duck:) pea-shooter to me.::)