PDA

View Full Version : Fall shoot at Backwoods Quail Club

John Truitt
01-07-2014, 02:25 PM
I just spoke to Rick Hemingway.

He is most definitely having/ hosting a side by side shoot in October 2014. He said the third weekend in October.

Mills Morrison
01-07-2014, 03:52 PM
That should be a good time for it

Rich Anderson
01-07-2014, 06:07 PM
That should be a good time for it

Unless you live in Grouse country:nono:

John Liles
01-08-2014, 06:38 PM
While it's always been an awesome shoot, Rick has moved it around the calendar a bit to try and please everybody. Guess after last years meager turn-out from those folks both west and north, (possibly and understandably due to a close shave with The Vintager Event in Addieville) and what I'd guess were a plethora of complaints from dissatisfied vendors, in spite of the fact that he'd moved it back so that it didn't interfere with the Grouse Ramadan, he decided to put it back to about where it originally started out, and might be just a little less inclined to be blighted by a hurricane ( as it was two years ago).
Hopefully plenty of folks will be able to make the event as those who do make it generally indicate it is of the first order.
Looking forward greatly to seeing all that can make it!
John

Mills Morrison
01-09-2014, 12:41 AM
I don't live in grouse country, unfortunately

Bill Murphy
01-09-2014, 07:53 AM
John's post explained everything. This year, Rick won't have to be juggling chain saws to get ready for the U.S. Open NSCA shoot, but we'll have the advantage of the improved course. It was nice of Rick to change his schedule to please the bird hunters for a while, but that is over now. I'm sure the bird hunters who want to meet their favorite vendors will come anyway.

Rich Anderson
01-09-2014, 08:49 AM
I know some of the vendors and consider them friends but we will talk at the Southern and Hausmanns so I won't be coming:nono::nono:

Mills perhaps you need to make a trip north to Grouse country.

Mills Morrison
01-09-2014, 09:59 AM
I would love to. I have never been grouse hunting.

Rich Anderson
01-09-2014, 10:17 AM
Mills we can talk about that at Deep River in April.

Mills Morrison
01-09-2014, 11:22 AM
Just read Upland Days by Bill Tapply and it really has me wanting to try grouse hunting. I recommend that book to anyone who does not have it

Dean Romig
01-09-2014, 12:01 PM
Mills, if you don't have "That's Ruff" by George King you are missing one of the finest contemporary books on the essence of grouse hunting ever written. George just passed away a few months ago. He was a 'Gentleman's gentleman' who had "been there - done that" and one of the easiest guys to talk with I've ever known..

Mills Morrison
01-09-2014, 12:06 PM
I bought that one recently as well and really enjoyed it too.

Dean Romig
01-09-2014, 12:07 PM
Sorry to hi-jack this thread.

Mills Morrison
01-09-2014, 12:11 PM
Along those lines, hope to see a lot of you guys at Backwoods this Fall. The one this past year was a lot of fun

Rich Anderson
01-09-2014, 04:23 PM
Mills, October is a busy month for the Grouse/Woodcock hunter. If you want to chase the King of the Uplands you might have to decide between real birds and clay ones. Just saying:whistle:

Mills Morrison
01-09-2014, 04:29 PM
It is early in the year and I am being optimistic:whistle:

Rich Anderson
01-09-2014, 04:31 PM
I'm being pratical. October goes by is a blur. I have friends who have already asked for my place for a week in October.

Harold Lee Pickens
01-09-2014, 09:45 PM
Mills, you should move North!!

Larry Frey
01-10-2014, 07:58 AM
Mills, you should move North!!

Yes Mill's you should move north, I think you and your bride would really enjoy it.:)

Dean Romig
01-10-2014, 08:03 AM
Larry lives in the "snow belt" of Connecticut and he has to shovel all the way to that barn out back to get to his tractor..... :shock:

Yeah Mills - you should really move north... just not in that section of CT:nono:

Mills Morrison
01-10-2014, 09:17 AM
Snow is ok, just not ice. I am thinking Maine

John Truitt
01-10-2014, 09:42 AM
so let me get this straight.

I start a thread that Rick is going to have a shoot in October and multiple people post 18 comments on this thread not related to the topic posted.
Most of these people being the same who time and time again post the same comment that they will not go to a fall shoot at Ricks because of hunting.

I don't see why this continues to happen every time.

If you want to discuss grouse hunting start a post about grouse hunting.
If you are not going to go to Ricks shoot just say so and let that be enough.

Bill Murphy
01-10-2014, 10:08 AM
Not every double gun guy can go to every double gun event, for a bucketload of reasons. Rick Hemingway fell into the "please everyone" trap once, but never again. See all of you in the Fall at Backwoods. Thanks for the comment, Dr. Truitt.

Rich Anderson
01-10-2014, 03:26 PM
so let me get this straight.

I start a thread that Rick is going to have a shoot in October and multiple people post 18 comments on this thread not related to the topic posted.
Most of these people being the same who time and time again post the same comment that they will not go to a fall shoot at Ricks because of hunting.

I don't see why this continues to happen every time.

If you want to discuss grouse hunting start a post about grouse hunting.
If you are not going to go to Ricks shoot just say so and let that be enough.

Yup you hit the nail on the head John. October is hunting season for most of us and that means Grouse for a lot of us. I would guess there are more dedicated bird hunters here than target shooters.

John Truitt
01-10-2014, 06:04 PM
Rich,

My original post was to inform Parker members of an upcoming shoot.

I am glad you have plans/ and have your dedications/ priorities set.

But how would you feel if every time you posted something about your hunting trips I timed in and started talking about one of the tournaments I just attended.

If you don't have something constructive to contribute to the post maybe it would be the polite and correct thing to not post anything at all.

You've made your point well known. You wont be coming to Rick's shoot.

Lets move on.

Mike.Smith
01-11-2014, 11:40 AM
I'm glad to see that Rick is having this shoot again this year, and thanks John for providing the dates. I've attended the previous two, and had a great time with some great people. This one is now on my calendar, and I look forward to seeing everyone there.

Mike