PDA

View Full Version : Extractor Retainer Screw Question

Dave Fuller
01-13-2010, 07:51 PM
I removed the extractor retainer screw on my top-lever hammer gun to clean and lub the extractor. All went well until I replaced the screw. I tightened it snugly into place, not excessively tight. This rendered the extractor incapable of any movement whatsoever. A half turn or so back the other way and it works perfectly but the screw's kinda loose. Is the the normal condition? Should I worry about it? Should I be more concerned about the onset of obsessive-compulsive disorder?

Dave Suponski
01-13-2010, 08:04 PM
A little drop of Lock-Tite Red solves the problem and in answer to you second question.I dunno maybe.....:rolleyes:

Bob Jurewicz
01-13-2010, 08:09 PM
Dave,
There is usually a recess in the extrator shaft within which the retainer screw fits to limit the travel of the extractor. You have not bottomed the screw within this recess and it is binding on the full shaft.
Bob Jurewicz

Dave Fuller
01-13-2010, 08:24 PM
With the extractor in place its impossible for the screw to miss the recess on the shaft (I think). Plus the extractor would just pull right out if I missed the recess in the shaft, its works fine when the screw is a bit loose. Also. the screw head is almost completely down into the recess in the lug. Its that last half turn that locks it. Maybe I better put a drop of lock tight in there and go back to worrying about the weather and the price of scotch.

Bob Jurewicz
01-13-2010, 08:29 PM
Dave,
If the screw will "bottom" without the extractor in place you could file the end to create relief.
Bob Jurewicz

Jack Cronkhite
01-13-2010, 09:10 PM
Maybe I better ... go back to worrying about the weather and the price of scotch.

Weather????? Don't worry. But what the heck is going on with the price of Scotch?????????? I'm putting loctite on the Scotch caps here. Well, right after hoisting a shot to toast your successful resolution of this issue.
Cheers,
Jack

Dave Suponski
01-13-2010, 09:15 PM
Be sure to use Lock-Tite red it's removable. For the gun AND the scotch...:rolleyes:

Richard Flanders
01-13-2010, 11:17 PM
Dave F: I've seen that a few times and if the screw is truly bottomed out and in the recess in the extractor, I just file the end of the screw until it no longer binds and goes in tight enough to stay there. Better to file the screw than the extractor rod, tho I have done that also if it was chewed up by the screw. Make sure there's nothing buggered about the threads that is causing the issue before you do anything. It may be a replacement screw. Other option is the aforementioned loctite but I'd use the medium strength blue not the red and make sure you clean the screw and the threads in the bbls with starter fluid or alcohol before applying the loctite or it won't hold. Sometimes I just clean the threads as above and use some blue or hi-temp red silicone seal to hold them. That works also and is guaranteed to hold but come out easily when you want it. That retainer screw should be nicely flush when snugged up if it's the original screw.

Dave Fuller
01-14-2010, 11:12 AM
Last night I found a scotch bottle with no lock tight on it and went out to the shop and filed down the screw, it works fine now. It even times up along the axis of the barrels. I just found it odd that it worked fine before disassembly and cleaning but bound up afterwards. I thought maybe I had lost a washer or something. I believe it to be the original screw. Anyhow, thanks fellas.