From the Bain Collection in the Library of Congress. Glass image 1910-1915

http://pic20.picturetrail.com:80/VOL1373/6511424/19974446/408407776.jpg

charlie cleveland
12-20-2013, 08:14 PM
thanks.. charlie

Drew Hause
12-21-2013, 11:23 AM
Sporting Life Feb 11, 1911
http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/SportingLife/1911/VOL_56_NO_23/SL5623010.PDF

By John Philip Sousa, from London, England, "Sketch"

Clay-pigeon or trap shooting is comparatively a new sport in America. Like golf, it appeals to all ages and all strata of society. On the golf-course at Hot Springs, Virginia, I have seen the multi-millionaire Rockefeller wait while John Jones drove off the next tee, and John Jones is a ribbon clerk at ten per week at Wanamaker’s. John Jones and his bride are honeymooning at the Springs, spending three days and six months’ savings at the same time. For the time being, millionaire, savant, ribbon clerk and wage-earner are members of the Ancient and Honorable Society of Golfers.

So with trap shooting. In the State shoot last year a squad of five consisted of one famous base ball pitcher, one equally-famous divine, one well-known financier, one hard-working carpenter, and "yours truly." True democracy that, and much to be commended! None of us had ever met before; but all, clergyman, and athlete, carpenter, banker, and musician worked like veritable Trojans, to give the squad a distinction as a "top-notcher." Like love, trap shooting levels all ranks. We had been squadded by the handicap committee, and our status as marks men was at stake.

I am often asked what makes a good shooter. I should say that the primary essentials are concentration of thought, command of the trigger-finger, velocity of vision, and accurate manipulation of the left arm in pointing. In a lesser degree, the "drop" of the gun, length of barrel, fullness of "choke" and selection of load play an important part. Of my own career as a shot, my past season has been my best, although in former years I have won many trophies. In several tournaments last .season I was in the first flight of shooters. In the SOUTHERN PRELIMINARY HANDICAP, held last May in Columbus, Georgia, I scored ninety-five out of a possible one hundred, in a field of two hundred contestants. I was beaten by the great Illinois amateur, "Chan" Powers, who missed only three birds during the day, and landed winner of the trophy. This was the same Powers who visited Great Britain in 1900 as a member of the All-American team.

In conclusion, I think there is no cleaner sport than trap shooting; there is no sport where the bluffer or braggart is shown up more quickly. It is a sport that excites admiration for great achievement, and abolishes jealousy and envy among contestants and spectators alike. The man that lands winner is the man of the hour.