PDA

View Full Version : gunsmith

Vic Critchfield
12-17-2013, 12:10 PM
I’m looking for a qualified parker gunsmith in the San Francisco Bay Area.

My father had about a dozen Parker shotguns when he passed away earlier this year.

I photographed them in order to keep track of his collection. Unfortunately, this one wouldn’t go back together.

I checked your website & figured it was the ejector springs(?). I tried to fix the problem, didn’t have much luck.

Do you guys know of a qualified gunsmith in the Bay Area?

Thank you for any advice.

Vic Critchfield

Brian Dudley
12-17-2013, 12:19 PM
Does the hammer have resistance when you push it back? If so, then it is not he spring.
Most likely it is a broken, worn or dirtied up combo sear.

I do not know of someone in your area to recommend. Maybe someone else does.

Mark Ouellette
12-17-2013, 12:25 PM
Try cocking the hammer by pushing the forend with the hammer against a piece of hardwood. If the hammer cocks assemble the gun and dry fire with snap caps or empty shells. Open the gun and note if the ejectors kick the empties out.

Mark

Vic Critchfield
12-17-2013, 12:27 PM
I tried to push the hammer back with a piece of wood. It sprang back as soon as I released the pressure.

Dean Romig
12-17-2013, 12:32 PM
Seems the cocking tab on the side of the ejector hammed might have broken off.

Sorry about your father's passing.

Looks to be a nice BHE.

Rich Anderson
12-17-2013, 01:18 PM
I think its an easy fix. Maybe you can send just the forarm to Brian and he can fix it. I have had this problem with ejector guns befor and it's not a big deal to fix.

Brian Dudley
12-18-2013, 08:11 AM
It is important to note that the small sear tip in the back of the iron should be in the upward position. It is a combination sear which has two points at which it grabs the hammer.

Under normal circumstances, Just pushing the hammer back will allow the hammer to grab the lower position on the sear, but installation of the forend will trip the hammers and if forend is removed, the hammers will be un cocked again. The forend must be run through an operation cycle to reset them correctly.

However if the hammers are properly cocked with the sears in the upward position, you are essentially ready to go.
This can be tricky to do. I usually put the forend in my padded pattern makers vise so it frees up both hands. One to push back on the hammer and the other to lift up I the sear tip. The hammer SHOULD hold with the tip left in the upward position.