PDA

View Full Version : Phinding Pheasants

Jack Cronkhite
01-09-2010, 12:13 PM
Phound a Phew in this Phavorable habitat.
Enjoy hiking around these abandoned places as much as the hunt itself. Just another 10 months to go (well, 9 1/2 really)
Cheers,
Jack

charlie cleveland
01-10-2010, 03:05 PM
beautiful senery... a picture is worth a thousand words.....thanks for sharing.... thanks charlie

Jack Cronkhite
01-10-2010, 03:53 PM
Thanks Charlie: Here's a few more thousand words. The creek is a pretty good spot. Nice thing about this creek is that it is all good upland habitat and it meanders through the south-east for probably 100 miles, which gives rise to its simple name - Long Creek. I have walked probably 20 or so of those miles over the past few decades and am now working on seeing if I can complete the trek over its entire course. Lot's of farmers to ask for permission and some I know will not give it so I'll never hunt its full length. The January Parker of the Month photo is the result of a hike along this creek one afternoon.

Cheers,
Jack

charlie cleveland
01-12-2010, 09:20 PM
i hope you get all of those permissions. i was hunting in my dads favorite deer stand the other day as i set in this old chair i turned andnot 10 foot a way was a brand new posted sign.made me angry at first.i did not shoot the sighn .i tgouht at least he could had enough consideration to have moved it a little farther down.i had hunted this same place for over 50 years.i never thought in my life time how nieighbors frends and relatives.have changed including myself overviews of hunting and giving others permission to be ontheir property.im glad that i got to see allof the good folks of the past.things are changing to fast for me now.i cannotchange the way things are but if i could......good hunting charlie

Jack Cronkhite
01-12-2010, 09:34 PM
Charlie: I find I can obtain permission from most folks I meet but not all. There is only one farmer along the creek in my twenty mile stretch that just won't let anyone hunt pheasants (and there are lots there for sure). He will welcome deer hunters though because they do so much damage.

Here's my canine "Charlie" who apparently can read, as she did not cross under this fence.

Cheers,
Jack

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/cpg1410/albums/userpics/28884/normal_20090502_IMG_9999_6sgw.jpg

Gerald McPherson
01-13-2010, 11:34 AM
Jack and Charlie;That gave me a good idea. The next time a land owner tries to run me off I'm going to tell him I can't read or hear. Gerald

charlie cleveland
01-14-2010, 09:55 PM
tried telling amess hall sargent that i could not read once upon a time and he told me i didnot have to be able to be pot and pan man on kp duty. i sure glad that your pup reads good.ha good looking dog wonderfull pictures of the contry side. hope to be able to hunt in someplaces like you haveposted inthose great picture some day .keep them coming charlie

Rich Anderson
01-15-2010, 06:21 PM
Jack how are the Hungarian Partridge doing where you are? I have hunted Huns, and Ruffed Grouse as a side trip to waterfowl in Manitoba years ago. I always like chaseing Huns and would like to do it again.

Jack Cronkhite
01-15-2010, 10:05 PM
Richard: Huns do well and so do Sharptail grouse. No rough grouse near here but they are in the province to the north, as are willow ptarmigan and spruce grouse. Waterfowl are plentiful during migration - Canada's Snows Speckles Sandhills (even Whooping Cranes but the minute one is spotted the Sandhills are closed) Most species of duck except Woodies and Blacks Lots of Swans but there has never been a season for them. For rifle enthusiasts Mulies Whitetails Moose Elk Caribou Antelope (no Mountain Sheep or Mountain Goats) For a hunter, it doesn't get much better than in my little corner of the world although Alberta adds the mountain species (blue grouse, rock ptarmigan, sheep and goat)

The one problem here is that you have to put up with hunting all day and seldom seeing another hunter. It can get lonely and you would always be on your honor when reporting doubles with no witnesses
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/cpg1410/albums/userpics/28884/shells_med_wte.gif

Larry Frey
01-16-2010, 07:46 AM
Richard: Huns do well and so do Sharptail grouse. No rough grouse near here but they are in the province to the north, as are willow ptarmigan and spruce grouse. Waterfowl are plentiful during migration - Canada's Snows Speckles Sandhills (even Whooping Cranes but the minute one is spotted the Sandhills are closed) Most species of duck except Woodies and Blacks Lots of Swans but there has never been a season for them. For rifle enthusiasts Mulies Whitetails Moose Elk Caribou Antelope (no Mountain Sheep or Mountain Goats) For a hunter, it doesn't get much better than in my little corner of the world although Alberta adds the mountain species (blue grouse, rock ptarmigan, sheep and goat)

The one problem here is that you have to put up with hunting all day and seldom seeing another hunter. It can get lonely and you would always be on your honor when reporting doubles with no witnesses
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/cpg1410/albums/userpics/28884/shells_med_wte.gif

:envy:
Jack,
The green with envy icon above dose not even begin to cover how I feel about your last post. You are a very lucky man indeed.

Robert Rambler
01-16-2010, 07:59 AM
[QUOTE]The one problem here is that you have to put up with hunting all day and seldom seeing another hunter. It can get lonely and you would always be on your honor when reporting doubles with no witnesses[QUOTE]

No man should have to endure such a thing!! My heart is truly saddened for your unfortunate circumstances (tear runs down cheek).:crying:

:rotf::rotf::rotf:

Jack Cronkhite
01-16-2010, 12:03 PM
Does it help at all that many months of the year the habitat is covered in fluffy white stuff. That just took me back to the '70's. A new neighbor and I had gone for our first pheasant hunt together. The wives were sharing coffee at home getting to know each other and it began to snow. The new neighbor lady said "Oh its snowing. They'll be home early". My wife showed a greater understanding. She replied "Not a prayer. Now they can track the damn things".

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/cpg1410/albums/userpics/normal_20061220_IMG_9999_29s.JPGhttp://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/cpg1410/albums/userpics/normal_20070317_IMG_9999_38sgw.JPG
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/cpg1410/albums/userpics/normal_20090301_IMG_9999_1sgwsmall.jpghttp://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/cpg1410/albums/userpics/normal_20061219_IMG_9999_9S.JPG

Rich Anderson
01-16-2010, 04:02 PM
I'm always happy to "bear witness" to any double be it Pheasant, Huns (I have done it twice and never found the second bird so I stopped:cuss:), Sharptails.....or Jack Daniels:rotf:

In regards to being lonely in the vast arena of Mother Earth while enjoying a fine firearm and a good dog.....never:duck:

Jack Cronkhite
01-16-2010, 05:15 PM
Richard: Never had a double by the definition that both must be in the air at the same time. I had that opportunity this season but even at my tender age I got way over-excited and cleanly missed both. I once got 2 within seconds of each other but they were separate flushes, not simultaneous. As for Gentleman Jack and his colleagues from the moors, I can attest to having achieved a few doubles in life. Cheers, Jack

BTW you are correct, it is not a lonely place out there, even when devoid of other humans.

Francis Morin
01-16-2010, 05:25 PM
You are never alone when you are hunting with a dog (or two)-- Thise early fotos of the aged buildings- make me recall early issues of Gray's SG--great stuff- and the Parker with the game bag and the Rooster tail feathers in view- well I can't think of anything much better than that--:rolleyes:

Dean Romig
01-16-2010, 05:56 PM
[QUOTE=Richard Anderson;11325]Pheasant, (I have done it twice and never found the second bird so I stopped:cuss:), :rotf:QUOTE]

I know your pain Rich - I folded two pheasants on a simultaneous rise and never found either :(

Rich Anderson
01-16-2010, 08:27 PM
The Hungarian Patridge is a tough fellow. We were hunting a patch of bush in a cut wheat field when a covey exploded. I litterly crushed the first bird so hard I cringed and turned to the second and only winged him. Sturm a GSP was only about 6mos old and he was stalking the cripple and pointing it as it ran down the edge of the cover. I let him go awhile as i felt it was good for the pup. When I returned to the first bird there were feathers everywhere but no bird. It's possible the big Red Tailed Hawk on the power pole had something to do with that. Later in the day I scratched two on the rise and recovered just the one. That was the end of "doubles" for me.

Richard Flanders
01-17-2010, 11:11 AM
Jack: You want lonely, go to Times Square in NYCity on a Saturday afternoon.... out in the wide open spaces?? No way....