PDA

View Full Version : Fly Rods

Dave Fuller
01-06-2010, 04:55 PM
Fly rods, especially of the cane variety, have always been fair game here so I thought folks might enjoy a unique set of beautiful HL Leonard Rods. A friend owns these and asked me to make him a display rack for them. Five of them are carried together in a set that fits in a canvas carry case from Mills & Sons formerly of New York City. There are 2 other Leonards in his collection with nice vintage brass capped tubes.

Dave Fuller
01-06-2010, 04:57 PM
Some of these rods have hardly been used. One has a fighting butt still wrapped in the original paper.

Dave Fuller
01-06-2010, 04:58 PM
Leonard-Mills reel with what appears to be unused line.

Dean Romig
01-06-2010, 05:09 PM
Very pretty rods Dave.

Tell us about the display rack - what kind of wood? What about the pegs - are they removable? What kind of wood are the pegs turned from? Does it all collapse into one compact unit?

Dave Fuller
01-06-2010, 05:55 PM
Its made of walnut with bullhide trim and brass hardware. Pegs are walnut too and they can be rearranged to suit whatever configuration you want. It breaks down into two pieces for storage or shipping.

Carl Beers
01-06-2010, 06:15 PM
Hey Dave....that's some gorgeous work. I like the walnut. Per your suggestion, I'm using walnut on the gun rack that I'm building from the
plans you sent me. Your picture makes me want to get going on it.
Thanks for posting the pictures.....Carl Beers

Dave Suponski
01-06-2010, 06:35 PM
Dave beautifull wood work.I really admire you guy's that can work with wood.I stay as far away as I can..:) Is that "Dark Emperador "marble I see behind that last picture? Oh sorry there I go talkin about work..

Dave Fuller
01-06-2010, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the kind words Dave (et al). If I can't be hunting or fishing I like to make stuff to contain and display all my hunting and fishing stuff. RE: Marble... I have a geology degree and I don't know what that stone is... I just call it "the fireplace."

Dave Suponski
01-06-2010, 07:49 PM
Ok Then"The Fireplace" it is....:)

Bruce Day
01-07-2010, 10:45 AM
With good condition Leonards at $2000-$3000 each and the reels close by, that is a sizeable investment.
We have many PGCA members who are also fly fishers. Austin Hogan's father was a founding member of the American Museum of Fly Fishing, Tom Flanigan ties flies that are the equal of those done by A K Best, John Dallas teaches fly casting, Dave Miles and other Michiganders fish the Au Sable and other steelhead and brown trout Mich rivers.
Paul Narlesky is a dealer in best quality vintage rods and reels.

Dave Fuller
01-07-2010, 11:15 AM
The rods pictured above are handed down from my friend's grandfather so they are even more special. My father gave me a cane rod he bought in as a boy in 1944, I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Bruce Day
01-07-2010, 02:49 PM
Here's a vintage Heddon #14 9' 6/7wt with a newer reel, circa maybe 1940. Like to find a Heddon Imperial to match the rod. My grandfather fished for steelhead in upper Michigan with it. This rod is original finish but two of the wraps have been rewound with original color thread and the cork handle cleaned. I have the original Heddon Automatic reel that he used with it but they are so heavy and a person really can't fight off the reel, so I believe they are out of favor. I did notice that you displayed several automatic reels with the Leonards and assume they are Leonard branded reels. Those Leonards are outstanding and I would love to see them in person.

I have a new, non vintage Jenkins 7'9" 4/5wt, 2/2 that I use with a trout reel made in New Hampshire.

Francis Morin
01-07-2010, 04:55 PM
[QUOTE=Bruce Day;10801]Here's a vintage Heddon #14 with a newer reel, circa maybe 1940. Like to find a Heddon Imperial to match the rod. My grandfather fished for steelhead in upper Michigan with it.

I have a new, non vintage Jenkins 7'9" 4/5wt, 2/2. I'm guessing that Heddon is either a 8 & 1/2 foot 3/2 or possibly a 9 foot 3/2- 6/7 wt- back then they used the three Alpha Code for the line wts. I'll keep my eyes peeled for that reel, but I am no longer fly fishing or a "player" in the vintage tackle game-but I still "get around" a bit- on the reel, you might try Bob Corsetti- up in Stan Bogdan's "digs" of Nashua, NH- besides the fine Peerless (Vom Hofe) pattern reels, he also buys, sells and trades tackle and fly reels- Also Carmine Lisella and Hoagy Bix Carmichael in Upstate New York areas and even Michigan rod maker Bob Sommers gets a few reels.

I had one Heddon in my career- a 8 & 1/2 ft. 3/2 No. 35 in 6 wt. Mint with original bag with label and tube. Is your fine Heddon wearing its "first suit of clothes"? or has it been refinished-

Those are fine pre-fire Leonards. Interesting is the automatic reels displayed, along with the older Leonard raised pillar reel. I bought a Walker trout reel many years ago at a yard sale- RH wind, no drag adjustment, but a Classic from the late Archie Walker and Sons in Long island- back 'in the era' when they sold for $65.00 retail and a Pflueger Medalist for $5.50--

Nice older reel, but it had the older silk line and was loaded with floatant, which had 'welded' the line to the arbor- had to soak it (the arbor- after I dis-assembled the reel that is) to free it up--:cool:

Austin W Hogan
01-07-2010, 08:36 PM
The rack shown was in Harvey Donaldson's sporting goods store in Little Falls, NY from the end of WW I to the beginning of WWII. The vertical rack is on the reverse side. It has been the barrel rack on my cleaning bench for the last 15 years. I think Harvey made the rack.
The streamer is self explanatory

Best, Austin

Francis Morin
01-07-2010, 09:24 PM
[QUOTE=Austin W Hogan;10818]The rack shown was in Harvey Donaldson's sporting goods store in Little Falls, NY from the end of WW I to the beginning of WWII. The vertical rack is on the reverse side. It has been the barrel rack on my cleaning bench for the last 15 years. I think Harvey made the rack.
The streamer is self explanatory

Best, Austin[- Austin- I couldn't quite make out the signature etc- I have two matukas in shadow boxes in my den- one tied by old friend Bill Hunter- and the other by Paol Jorgensen- I also have some Skykomish Sunrise patterns possibly tied by writer/artist Russell Chatham- a fly fisherman's fisherman in deed, like the late Lee Wulff- The Royal Wulff was always one of my favroite patterns as well-

Like the cleaning bench- Maxwell House and Hoppe's No. 9- like Parkers and Leonards- things that made us great- well at least we can still get Maxwell House and Hoppe's--:bigbye:

Austin W Hogan
01-07-2010, 09:39 PM
The streamer is a silver darter streamer imitation of the minnow of the same name, tied by Lew Oatman. The letter tells of Lew's experience fishing it deep then raising it to the surface, taking trout that would not take a dry or a nymph.

The gun is a Triplett and Scot certified genuine by the crack in the wrist.

Best, Austin

Dean Romig
01-07-2010, 09:49 PM
Poul Jorgensen passed in 2004. I had attended a couple of his seminars. A very talented and innovative fly-tyer and a rather independent cuss who was often late for his own seminars... if he showed at all.
Is Bill Hunter still with us? - last I saw him he was rather 'long of the tooth'. I shopped his fly shop in New Boston, NH several times . . . nothing had a price tag on it :eek:

Greg Baehman
01-08-2010, 04:37 PM
...a couple of flyrods...the 1st is a pre-fire Leonard "Fairy Catskill" 7'6", 3/2 for a 3 wt. line. The 2nd is a Kusse "Baby Catskill" 6'0", 2/2 for a one-weight line and the 3rd and 4th pics are of a display case for a few of the cane rods in my collection. This display case, originally a gun cabinet, came out of a camp in northern Wisconsin formally owned by the chairman of the board of U.S. Gypsum in Chicago.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o166/bamb00zler/HLLeonardFairyCatskill.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o166/bamb00zler/001.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o166/bamb00zler/Flyrods001.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o166/bamb00zler/Flyrods004.jpg

Austin W Hogan
01-08-2010, 08:27 PM
Those two reels bring back fond memories. Here are some flies by Harold Gibbs; despite my obvious bias, I consider Gibbs the best of the twentieth century.

Best, Austin

Francis Morin
01-08-2010, 09:42 PM
[QUOTE=Austin W Hogan;10859]Those two reels bring back fond memories. Here are some flies by Harold Gibbs; despite my obvious bias, I consider Gibbs the best of the twentieth century.

Best, Austin[/- My first choice in fly reels was always the Hardy Perfects-ball bearing smooth, palming drag if needed, well machined and finished. Not familiar with Mr. Gibbs- but his flies are well tied and in perfect proportion to the hook size and style. Austin, I'm surprised you didn't include the Darbee-Dette Catskill tiers- another great tier was the late Harold Steele Gillum of Ridgefield CT.--I never owned a Gillum or a Garrison rod, but then, I have never owned a Boss side by or a Woodward either-:rolleyes:

Matt Grunzweig
05-07-2012, 09:18 PM
Great display rack!

jimcaron
05-18-2012, 11:00 AM
That rack is is just absolutely brilliant!

Looking a those beautiful rods really took me down memory lane. My Uncle had an old bamboo rod and if you haven't the pleasure of using one, there is nothing like. I'd love to know where it landed after he passed, I think one of my cousins might have. I hope they do.

Anyway, thanks for the little trip.

Bruce Day
06-01-2012, 08:37 AM
My buddy Charlie by NRA display rack.

Dave Fuller
06-01-2012, 11:27 PM
Thanks Bruce - Charlie's is nicer looking but mine will not spend money at the mall or nag at me to quit chewin'. Further, mine will continue to perform its core function long into our relationship where as Charlie's my lose interest at some point. - Dave