PDA

View Full Version : Info On New Parker 12GA S/N 368

Steve Noel
10-06-2013, 05:42 PM
I just obtained a Parker double barrel shotgun, and while I plan on requesting available documentation thru this site, I thought others may be able to share observations of this gun while I wait. What I do know; Serial #368, 12GA, holds 3.5" shell, laminated steel barrels, near serial number on bottom of barrels is also stamped "35", checkered stock, bottom release to break gun. I believe step two of identifying is to remove the barrel to see additional information, but this is not something I'm familiar with. I haven't been able to find any pictures looking like this gun, so if you know anything more, please share.
I appreciate anything you may offer!
Thanks,
Steve

wayne goerres
10-06-2013, 06:12 PM
Steve What you have there is not a parker brothers shotgun. It looks like a belgium nock off. They made a lot of shotguns and used the names of high end companys to sell them. They didnt make a 3 1/2" shell when your gun was made. It is mostlikly a 2 1/2" shell. Sorry

John Farrell
10-06-2013, 07:50 PM
Steve-what you have there is an English shotgun with Parker stamped on the side plate.
Quite a few of them have shown up on this site over the years. I did some research on the name Parker in olde England. It had many connotations and uses. One of which was a rabbit back in the day was called a Parker, and I surmise the gun was intended to be used for dispatching that critter from the gardens. Additional etymological explanations were offered by learned friends on this site. I like my analysis.

I suggest that before you venture forth with loaded shells in the chambers you have the barrel wall thickness determined by a competent gunsmith. Of all the 'smiths available, I'd choose one that had a barrel wall thickness tool. Tapping on the barrels with a half dollar to see it they ring (true) will not save you if, upon firing the gun, the steel indicates it is too thin for such use as test firing it. Last century's shotgun shells and today's shells are a long way from the same in terms of pressure.

Good luck with your new gun.