PDA

View Full Version : New Parker Owner

jason porras
01-01-2010, 09:00 PM
Hello, I'm new to collecting Parkers. I do own many other guns, but this one is very unique, and my oldest. I have an 1878 "GH" rating I believe (just says "G" on the marking). It was made in 1891 from what the serial number states. It's also a size "1", but I'm not sure what gauge it is? My guess is 12? I'm brand spanking new to this gun, so any info such as value, tips on what ammo to use if I decide to shoot it, etc. would be greatly appreciated (I hear modern ammo could possibly damage the damascus barrel). It is a damascus barrel, it seems to function properly, barrel looks good, I don't plan to shoot it all the time, but would love to fire it a few times before I hang it on the wall. I plan to keep it and maybe even pick up another one (this one has me hooked), I see values vary a ton, I don't have any plans to sell, but would love to know what I have as far a "worth" goes. I picked it up at an auction, I knew the "Parker" name, but that was about it, not many bid on it, and I picked it up fairly cheap, so I think I win regardless. Anyways, thanks for any help/info anyone has for me. Oh, I'd rate the condition "good".

Robin Lewis
01-01-2010, 09:03 PM
Can you tell us the ser # and maybe post some pictures? With the ser # we may be able to look up information on it...... maybe.

jason porras
01-01-2010, 09:13 PM
I'll ask the Mrs. if she'll take some pics of it for me. The ser # is 67500. Hopefully pictures will follow... Thanks!

Robin Lewis
01-01-2010, 09:19 PM
Your gun isn't listed in the "Parker Gun Identification & Serialization" book. The records for some guns are missing from the book, but it looks like the PGCA database has information on it (based on the Research Letter link on the home page). You may want to get a letter from them.

jason porras
01-01-2010, 10:10 PM
Here are some pictures, I had some trouble sizing them so they'd fit. Not sure how well they will turn out when I try to upload them. Thanks for all your help.

Dean Romig
01-01-2010, 10:20 PM
The 1-frame was the standard for the 16 gauge and for the "light" 12 gauge.
The barrels and barrel wall thickness should be examined and measured before firing the gun but, presuming it passes with flying colors, you will be able to shoot low-pressure (under 8,000 p.s.i.) 2 1/2" ammo available from a number of sources - a favorite being RST in Friendsville Pa.

jason porras
01-02-2010, 11:38 AM
I know it's not much that I've shared, but based on photos and serial #, any idea the approx value of my new shotgun? Not a big deal, I didn't spend a whole lot at the auction I got it from, so it's already worth more than I paid to me, so I'm satisfied, but would like to know your opinions.

Dean Romig
01-02-2010, 01:21 PM
Hard to put a value on a gun with only seeing a few pics and knowing nothing about the condition of the barrels to say nothing of whether they have been cut - which is not uncommon at all and which seriously affects the value of such a gun. Just throwing out a WAG I would say not more than $1,500 and quite possibly, significantly less depending on many factors.

jason porras
01-02-2010, 03:26 PM
Thanks I appreciate the response.

John Dunkle
01-02-2010, 11:25 PM
Hi Porras..!

I'm glad you appreciate the Forum! However, we'd appreciate your posts more, if - like the rest of us - you could please PM me your real first name and last name so I can get your Login & screen name set (just like the rest of us, who'd appreciate you doing that ;) )

John

John Dunkle
01-03-2010, 10:58 AM
Hi Jason!

Thank you so much!!! You are all set - and welcome to the Forum! Just remember, your new login is:

Login name: jason porras

If you have any difficulties at all - please e-mail me, OK??

Many thanks again!,

John