PDA

View Full Version : The Passing of Grouse Hunter

Art Wheaton
09-19-2013, 05:57 PM
Yesterday, September 18th 2013, grouse hunters lost a kindred spirit. George King, author of That's Ruff, passed away after a long illness at his home in Jeannette, Pa. He is survived by his wife, Penny and two daughters.
On a hill on his farm a huge Oak tree marks the site of his dog, "Boy", and it there he will go home to be with "Boy" once again. George cared deeply about his family, his service to his country and for His Majesty, Mr. Grouse. Those of us who shared an e-mail, telephone chat, or have his book, will remember his passion for Grouse. Soon to be released will be the book, "A Passion for Grouse" with a lengthy interview in George's own words about his feelings toward Grouse hunting and the bird.
We will miss him.
Art Wheaton

Dean Romig
09-19-2013, 06:06 PM
I'm crushed...

I've talked with George a number of times, the most recent being about three or four weeks ago. We knew this would happen sooner rather than later and George talked about it too. He was incredibly brave and had an indomitable spirit and talked grouse and grouse hunting to the end. I loved to talk with him and will miss our chats terribly but I know his spirit will be where his heart has always been... in the hills and coverts that the Ruffed Grouse call home. I'll be listening for him out there while I'm traipsing the Autumn Uplands.

Robert Rambler
09-19-2013, 07:10 PM
A very sad moment in time for me.
Like Dean I had the pleasure of speaking to George on the phone several times. I always hoped to take a detour off the turnpike some day and meet the man in person, now sadly that chance is gone.
Even over the phone you could tell this was a true gentleman with a passion for all things Grouse. His book "That's Ruff" will always fill an honored spot on my book shelf.
I hope George and Boy have been reunited and are tramping through an October covert, chock full of grouse, all flying straight away. Gods speed George.

Dave Suponski
09-19-2013, 09:43 PM
We are dimished in George's passing. I recieved an email today from George's daughters adising me of his passing. There was no such thing as a quick phone call to Mr. King...We would end up talking for an hour. I will always remember the Saturday when the mail brought an envelope from George..in it was a signed picture of him and a wonderful note. It is even more special now. But we all know where that great American is now.....

Rick Losey
09-19-2013, 11:25 PM
like so many others, my experience with the gentleman was limited to a few phone calls, but every minute was enjoyable and educating

our best to his family

charlie cleveland
09-21-2013, 07:51 AM
i m very sorry to hear about this great man s passing...charlie

Dean Romig
09-21-2013, 08:23 AM
Our dear friend, George King, a few years ago. He'll be in very good company up there... Spiller, Woolner, "Tap", Gorham "Grampa Grouse" Cross, Bill Tapley, Sheldon, and many others.

Photo by Morris Baker

CraigThompson
09-21-2013, 11:36 PM
Condolences and RIP !

Sorry to say when I was accumulating Grouse books I never knew of this gentleman .

Only one I was ever fortunate enough to talk with was George Bird Evans and his wife Kay !

Used to call him each year after bird season and we exchanged Xmas cards for awhile . Didn't learn of his passing until a few years ago .

Allen Peterson
10-04-2013, 08:48 PM
Very sad news.

ed good
10-05-2013, 10:09 AM
the grouse are gone...we might as well all go too?

Dean Romig
10-07-2013, 06:06 PM
Not as long as I can still clutch a Parker and trudge the upland hillsides!

John Taddeo
10-10-2013, 05:52 AM
I will be clutching right beside ya Dean. Anyway, I ordered the new book "A Passion for Grouse" and received George's news letter collection (very nicely bound ) and good reading, It looks like a must have for a grouse hunters library..

David Macaleer
10-23-2013, 07:10 PM
Sorry to hear of Mr. King's passing. My thoughts and condolences to his family and friends. I already had his new book on order and anticipate delivery any day now. Sad to know further tomes will not be forthcoming.