PDA

View Full Version : G grade floor plate.

Brian Dudley
09-19-2013, 09:32 AM
I just got a GH into the shop for general inspection that has absolutely exquisite engraving on the bottom. Nothing unusual about the pattern, but the detail and amount of background scenery is impressive. This gun is in the 77,000 serial number range.

Dean Romig
09-19-2013, 10:58 AM
Hi Brian - I have GH number 76084 which was likely engraved by the same hand. The similarities are very telling. Several PGCA Members have remarked that it has some of the finest engraving they have seen on a Grade 2. I wish my pictures were more clear so thet the almost microscopic graver lines were visible.

The one you have shown is fantastic and I'm sure the owner must be very proud.
Mine is a sixteen on the 0-Frame, what is his?

charlie cleveland
09-19-2013, 05:53 PM
very nice guns both of them..best g grade engraving ive ever seen on these two guns.. charlie

Mills Morrison
09-19-2013, 06:54 PM
Grade 2 engraving is underrated, in my opinion. Two great examples on this thread.

Gregory Miller
03-09-2014, 03:49 PM
I agree the G guns have some fine engraving. Here are some pictures of my GH12 from 1890. The first picture is the floorplate, I have attached a thumbnail of the serial number for reference. Then a close up of the floor plate with the contrast enhanced to show detail in the engraving cuts. Look at how they shaped the strokes on the wings to give a 3d Effect. Tough to see without a powerful magnifying glass, so I guess the engravers did this sort of work for their own pride. Quite remarkable. Have not lettered the gun yet but the wood is also very pretty with a vertical tiger stripe patter. Gun is still rather dirty, but is unmolested.

Mills Morrison
03-09-2014, 05:56 PM
I am a big fan of early G grade engraving. I have a 10 and a 12 with floorplates very similar floorplate engraving.

Gregory Miller
03-09-2014, 09:34 PM
Hard to photograph wood but numbers match and appears to be correct. Next gun will be a blackpowder 10ga.