PDA

View Full Version : Request for info on VH 12 ga.

Jerry McCarty
12-27-2009, 10:20 AM
Hello,

First post here to the PGCA site with a request for help with any information that may be on the Parker production books about a friends grandfather's Parker VHE 12 ga. serial # 189089 built in 1920 according to the sn lookup table. What I know about the gun is that my friend's grandfather, who would have been 40 years old in 1920, used it extensively along the Rappahanock River and Aquia Creek in Virginia for waterfowl hunting. It has 30" barrels and a #2 frame as stamped on the barrel lump underneath the 12 [ga] stamp. The gun is in fair condition after being stored in a closet since 1960. The stock has been pinned in 2 places in the then checkered cheek panels to disguise the repair. The barrels contain much of the original bluing but unfortunately have some exterior rust on the top surface near the muzzle and in the rib matting. I'm hoping there is enough barrell wall thickness so that this damage can be expertly repaired in the future should my friend wish to do so. Otherwise, there are no dents or bulges and the barrels ring. I still have to scrub some old grime from the bores, but they otherwise look fine. I have not yet measured the chambers and choke measurements but will do so and am hoping to compare this to information that can be obtained from the factory production records. The stock is fitted with a period Red Head pad and has wonderful shooting dimensions of 1.5" DAC and 2.5 DAH and LOP to front trigger of 13 7/8". I'm wondering if this stock configuration could have been special ordered by my friends grandfather who at 40 yrs of age probably knew what dimensions would work for him in the duck blind.

I would really appreciate any additional information that the forum could provide about SN 189089 as the family who owns the gun is very special to me and we shared many memories of its original owner, my friends grandfather, over the holidays although not in a duck blind unfortunately.

Regards,

Jerry

Bill Murphy
12-27-2009, 08:49 PM
Hardly any ordering information is available on a Parker of this era. The dimensions you mention are about standard for any lower grade Parker of the era. Your friend's granddad probably bought that Parker out of a hardware store.

Jerry McCarty
12-27-2009, 09:31 PM
Thank you Mr. Murphy. Having several field grade and graded doubles from the other makers of this era I was thinking that more drop was standard but always glad to learn otherwise!

Regards,

Jerry

Bill Murphy
12-29-2009, 11:33 AM
Jerry, The Lovely Linda's youngest son Matt attended Christmas dinner with us. On Saturday, oh dark thirty, he headed out on the Rappahanock for ducks, or maybe geese. He probably hunts more days and kills more waterfowl than any hunter in Virginia. I have heard that he supports about a thousand goose decoys. It sounds like a lot but many are used for Delaware snows. Linda and her late husband must have raised him right.

Jerry McCarty
12-30-2009, 08:56 PM
Hi Bill - just wondering if you're reply was meant for me as I'm pretty sure I don't know Linda but perhaps you're wife? Sounds like her son, Matt, is pretty salty. We do pretty well on the Potomac and tribs below Occoquan for local shooting and then I hunt Rock Hall and Wye River gunning clubs. I shoot a Fox, but have been offered to take out the aforementioned Parker whenever I would like to. Won't take that offer just yet, but it will return to the blind if I have anything to do with it.

Jerry

Dean Romig
12-31-2009, 12:14 AM
That's good Jerry. Clean that Parker up a bit and take it where it should be, in the blind. And, by the way, leave that Fox in the safe that first time out so you and the Parker can get to know each other.