PDA

View Full Version : Engravers in New England

allen newell
07-26-2013, 12:01 PM
I would like our family initial engraved on 2 of my Parkers. Just the letter 'N' on the butt stock plaque. Dan Cullity who resides in Sandwhich, Mass and is world renowned for his work is backed up well over a year in work. I'd like to find a trusted engraver somewhere in new England that I can takes these 2 doubles to and not have to wait an eternity. Suggestions?:bowdown:

Rick Losey
07-26-2013, 12:13 PM
this was a recommendation I received from a couple members

i have not contacted her about the project yet, so I do not know what her wait time is.

http://www.engravingbynoelle.com/

Larry Frey
07-26-2013, 02:54 PM
Allen,
My gunsmith highly recommends Mr. Frank Conroy from Essex Ct. He has done a lot of Parker work for Abe all of which was fast, reasonably priced and of the highest quality. Here is a link to his website.

http://www.vintagers.org/frank.html

Linn Matthews
07-27-2013, 09:41 AM
Don't forget Winston Churchill in Vermont!

Dean Romig
07-27-2013, 12:14 PM
Allen, when I had Kathy's initials engraved on the oval in her Repro stock I brought it to a high quality jewelry store and had it back in a few days. They even showed me a book of engraving fonts for me to choose from. First gun they ever did though.

Bill Murphy
07-27-2013, 01:28 PM
Dean, did they do it on a machine or by hand? I especially like Mr. Conroy's Browning Superposed with the young lady covering her "stuff" with her left hand. He seems like a genuine talent.

Dean Romig
07-27-2013, 01:55 PM
By hand Bill.

allen newell
11-04-2013, 06:13 PM
On the recommendation of one of our Forum members, I drove up to Wells, Maine this past Friday to see John Perry, Master Engraver and drop off the 2 Parkers (a VHE and a DHE Repro) that I wanted the family initial (N) engraved on the butt stock embedded medallion. John is a Master Engraver whose work is just terrific. He also paints on canvas and is one of the country's foremost maritime art painters with works in the White House, many museums and in Buckingham Palace. He's also a semi-retired professional guitar player who played with all the greats (Hendrix, Crosby Stills & Nash, James Taylor, Roy Orbison and many others). A highly decorated Vietnam Vet credited with multiple kills as a long range sniper. Just meeting John and talking with him was fascinating. A real gem of a nice guy. Oh, and he engraved the medallions over the weekend and I picked them up today. Cost was $25 ea medallion, very fair and reasonable IMHO.

Dean Romig
11-04-2013, 06:21 PM
And so... we are waiting for pictures of the engraved medallions...

allen newell
11-04-2013, 06:28 PM
Dean, I wasn't going to take any pics as it's just the letter N, albeit a little fancy. What I should have done though, was to take my camera up there today and take some pics of the Colt revolvers he's in the process of engraving which were just fabulous. I was impressed that he was so gracious and generous in dropping his other 'works' temporarily to engrave for me so quickly and nicely.

Dean Romig
11-04-2013, 08:40 PM
I'll show you mine if you show us yours...

Dave Suponski
11-04-2013, 09:07 PM
Not so sure I'm comfortable with the direction this conversation is going...:rolleyes:

Brian Dudley
11-05-2013, 08:52 PM
I would like our family initial engraved on 2 of my Parkers. Just the letter 'N' on the butt stock plaque. Dan Cullity who resides in Sandwhich, Mass and is world renowned for his work is backed up well over a year in work. I'd like to find a trusted engraver somewhere in new England that I can takes these 2 doubles to and not have to wait an eternity. Suggestions?:bowdown:

You might want to check with Dan for sure on your work. Many engravers may be backed up for a long time on big jobs, but can get small jobs like yours worked in and turned around quickly.

allen newell
11-06-2013, 11:19 AM
Hello Brian, nice to hear from you. The engraving is done and right now I don't have any more Parkers to have engraved but when Brad B. finishes his work on the 12 ga VH I bought from you, I'll have that medallion engraved the Newell initial as well.

Brad's also doing some restoration work for me on a nice little 20 ga Trojan that I picked up on line a number of months ago and this will be a present to my grandson when he reaches 12 yrs of age. I'm thinking that I might ask Brad to install a medallion on the Trojan stock (even though they did not have them from the factory I believe) and have Logan's initials engraved to more 'personalize' his first gun for him. Just a thought that's rolling around in my head. (please and thank you, I don't need anyone coming back to me telling me not to 'screw up an original Trojan) I may drop by Dan Cullity's shop when the VH comes back to me from Brad (Feb 14?) and see what his timeline is (and price). I know Dan's work is world renowned (as is his price). John Perry in Wells, Me only charged me $25 each which I felt was very reasonable and I got to hear his life story which was equally fascinating especially his long range sniper missions in Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam and later in South America. A remarkable life for any one man or woman.

Brian Dudley
11-06-2013, 11:23 AM
That should be a nice touch on the Trojan stock. Hey, if it is yours and its a gift for him, who cares if you want to do something special on it like that.

Your not restoring it for the same of resale.

allen newell
11-06-2013, 02:12 PM
My thoughts too Brian.
Dean, I'll take some pics and post of the engraving that John Perry did. I told him I didn't want anything overly fancy. Just keep it simple (and readable!) and he did.

Phillip Carr
11-06-2013, 03:59 PM
I have my 10m gauge GHE with NOELLE. I will get it back in about two weeks. Turn around will be about 1 month. I will let you know my thoughts when it returns.

allen newell
11-06-2013, 05:03 PM
Sorry Phil, do you mean Noelle Feuchts? (sp?) Orvis advertises her as one of New England's foremost engravers.

Phillip Carr
11-06-2013, 06:47 PM
Yes she is the engraver doing my GHE. Seems like fast turn around. If it turns out well I will send here a few more guns I want to get pointed up. a little 20 gauge LC Smith 2E for sure.

Dean Romig
11-06-2013, 07:25 PM
Allen, I had the impression that Dan was in the process of retiring....?

Dave Suponski
11-06-2013, 08:57 PM
I shot sporting clays with Noelle this past Sunday. She told me she was booked solid until July next year.

allen newell
11-07-2013, 09:39 AM
Dean, That would be a decision he's made since I had a long conversation with him (and his son who works alongside Dan) a year ago. I know he's been in high demand and pretty much picks and chooses his projects. But he seemed to be in good health and still enjoying his work. I'd be very surprised if he was planning to retire any time soon. But you never know.

allen newell
11-07-2013, 12:36 PM
Dean, here are some pics. I need a better camera operator. wink wink

Dean Romig
11-07-2013, 02:02 PM
That's some very nice engraving for $25

Nice family monogram!

allen newell
11-07-2013, 04:25 PM
Thanks Dean, It was short money and good enough for what I wanted.

Dean Romig
11-07-2013, 04:31 PM
I think you got more than your money's worth.

allen newell
11-07-2013, 05:43 PM
agreed