PDA

View Full Version : trying to stop a sawing off of an old hammer gun

jason brounce
07-18-2013, 11:47 AM
All,

I recently joined the group and posted some pics of my first Parker. I find myself in search of more assistance. A friend of mine, after hearing about my recent purchase, told me of an old hammer double he picked up at an auction. It has "the continental" stamped on one side and PATENT JUNE 20 1886 on the other. It is also fairly engraved. I have not held the gun yet, just seen a few pics which I will post. He has been using the gun on his farm, so it functions.

Now to the important stuff. He confessed to me that he was in his shop the other day trying to determine how to cut the barrels short to have a home defense sawed off shotgun. I am trying to convince him not to by either buying or offering a trade of another double, that I would provide to cut and ready to use.

So I guess I'm looking for any ideas or options that anyone might have.

thanks
Jason

jason brounce
07-18-2013, 11:52 AM
here are the pics. I know it's not much to look abut it's what he sent me.

Dennis V. Nix
07-18-2013, 01:15 PM
Jason,

It all seems pretty simple to me. Though the photos aren't that good and I am not familiar with the maker of the gun I can say if he cuts the barrels he will probably take a decent gun worth maybe $500.00 and magically turn it into a gun worth $200.00. It is as simple as that. He would be much better of by going to a Walmart to buy a Remington 870 which they sell often as a loss leader for under $300.00. He would have little invested in it and would have a home protection gun far better for that purpose than the double barrel you displayed. Possibly the double is worth 5 times as much as I am guessing because I am not personally familiar with the manufacturer.

Dennis

jason brounce
07-18-2013, 01:23 PM
What I'm trying to do is find a way to offer him something in exchange so he can do what he wants. In the form of cash or a trade. I just don't know what kind of value I'm dealing with. He bought it for $175 at an auction. He's a friend so I want to be moderately fair about it.

Rick Losey
07-18-2013, 01:41 PM
As far as the value of his gun, it would depend on condition of the barrel and who made it.

For his idea of a sawed off home defensive weapon, a short chambered damascus hammer gun would be far from my first choice.

Find a used Remington 870 express or Mossberg 500 and trade him even up if you like the hammer gun. If he insists on a double go with a savage steven 511.

PS
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=228535

charlie cleveland
07-18-2013, 10:29 PM
his gun is probably a belgium made double...go to a pawn shop and buy a mossberg pump you mite even find one with the extended magazine and the pisto;l grip stock...it would make him a better home defence gun...better yet go throw his hacksaw away... charlie

David Hamilton
09-08-2013, 08:20 PM
I would go further, Pay him the auction price and a reliable Mosberg as well. That gun looks to be in good condition. If so and the barrels and lock-up are good. you could enjoy a nice double for a low price. Try to find out who made the gun, that could give you more help in deciding if you would like the gun. David

Drew Hause
09-08-2013, 08:43 PM
Granny thought highly of hers :)

http://pic20.picturetrail.com:80/VOL1373/6511424/18490292/401337440.jpg

It was not of high quality when new, and the principles of home defense are 1. Be prepared so a weapon is never needed and 2. Have a reliable weapon when it is.

John Farrell
09-12-2013, 07:37 AM
Try some of the suggestions shown here. But, don't take out a second mortgage just to be able to say you have a hammer double. It's important that you don't ignore the advice and buy it without doing some safety checks, such as the barrel wall thickness. It may well turn out to be a wall hanger. You certainly wouldn't want to be shooting it among a group of friends and have the barrel(s) fail.