PDA

View Full Version : Extractor? or not?

Jim_Peasley
06-30-2013, 03:39 PM
Just a quick question on extractors. I notice in the for sale ads for Parkers that there's a GH and a GHE. I'm assuming that refers to extractors. I can find no pictures of the breech end of the barrels showing what an extractor looks like.
My 28" 12 Ga. Damascus barrels have an extractor of sorts that lifts the spent shells about 1/4" or so from the breech when the barrels are opened, but I don't think that this is what they mean by extractors. Am I right?
For all who helped me with advice on how to get the gun apart in a previous thread, thanks. Apparently I just don't have the touch as the gunsmith at my local emporium had no problems getting it apart without removing any of the guts.

Daryl Corona
06-30-2013, 06:05 PM
Jim,
What you have are extractors. They just lift the spent hulls out of the chambers so you can remove them manually. The E in a GHE stands for ejectors which will kick spent hulls out of the chambers and clear of the gun when fired but will act as extractors if the gun has'nt been fired, only lifting them for removal and not ejecting the unfired shell. Hope that helps.

Jim_Peasley
07-01-2013, 02:57 PM
Thanks greatly! I've seen movie clips where the 'rich guy' is shooting skeet in his back yard, and when the gun breaks, the empty shells come flying out.
I kinda figured that's what they meant by ejectors.