PDA

View Full Version : First Duck with my NH 10ga

Pete Lester
12-20-2009, 02:59 PM
I got my first duck today with my new to me 1891 NH 10ga. Not much of a test for it as this hen was 20 yards out and closing when I let go. Gun is 10 pounds 4 ounces, 32" ugly bores (some internal pitting for full length of both) with .030 for choke (barrels stamped 6lb 6 oz). Wood is rock solid, screws boogered. No dents or bulges in barrels, minor carry wear on wood, checkering thin on forend, gun is mechanically tight. Found it last week at the Kittery Trading Post for not much more than Stevens 311. Scott Kittredege opended it up yesterday, cleaned and lubed it. Loaned me a shell this morning and success!

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj57/nhshotgunner/100_0618.jpg

Harry Collins
12-20-2009, 03:05 PM
Pete,

Great old Parker and like most of mine it's a "ten footer". Looks good from ten feet. That "suzie" will be a tasty treat and reward for your new Parker. What shells did you use?

Harry

Pete Lester
12-20-2009, 03:08 PM
Pete,

Great old Parker and like most of mine it's a "ten footer". Looks good from ten feet. That "suzie" will be a tasty treat and reward for your new Parker. What shells did you use?

Harry

What kind of shells? The best kind you can ever use........., free ones :rotf: Scott Kittredge's tried and true reloads. 1 1/4oz Bismuth 4 from one of Sherman Bell's recipes.

Gun is actually not that bad, more like a 5 footer. Fortunately the pattern side swiped her at that range, broke a wing, not a pellet in the meat.

scott kittredge
12-20-2009, 03:14 PM
PS, 1 3/8 oz, needed that extra 1/8 oz of shot for the stray bb in the wing ( LOL ) scott

Pete Lester
12-20-2009, 03:17 PM
Felt like a 22LR for recoil :)

Harry Collins
12-20-2009, 03:25 PM
My 1 1/4 oz load is also a Sherman Bell one. 35 gr 4756, WW209 primer, SP10 wad in Federal hulls. I use #4 Bismuth and #5 NiceShot.

Harry

Dave Suponski
12-20-2009, 04:03 PM
Good work Pete! I have heard a lot of good things about Scotts reloads...:)

Destry L. Hoffard
12-20-2009, 07:29 PM
Good work, always nice to get your first bird with a new gun.

I hunted waterfowl on the St. Clair River this weekend myself. Used my D grade 10 gauge hammer gun. The shooting was pretty slow but I did managed one goose and made a hell of a long shot on a shovel duck both using the new RST 1 3/8 ounce NiceShot shells in #2.

Not the kind of true test I wanted to give them but we've still got some season left. Hopefully I'll get in on a little more of a real goose hunt so I can run them through their paces.

Destry

Dean Romig
12-20-2009, 10:15 PM
Pretty 'big' of Scott to loan you a shell. You probably could have bagged a few more ducks if he's been a little more generous. We'll be seeing Scott in just a couple of weeks and we'll put the heat on him for you not to call in his loan in this tough economy. :violin:

scott kittredge
12-21-2009, 06:27 AM
dean, a few more shells? for pete to shoot another duck i would have to " LOANED HIM" about 6 or 7 more shells for another duck:shock: i went the barny fife method, one at a time:rotf: i'am not any better this year myself but i sure have fun doing it:crying: hope to see you soon, scott