PDA

View Full Version : Get it right

calvin humburg
12-20-2009, 07:49 AM
I didn't do this right. I just started asking questions. I'm calvin from Kansas. Plan 2 join. I just started shooting hammer gun when hunting by my self in not very thick cover I have hammers cocked probably not safe, trigger finger out of guard. I can cock both hammers on the up but have 2 carry gun barrel up. Got any tips. ch

Dean Romig
12-20-2009, 08:13 AM
Calvin,

I hunt upland birds with a 16 ga. hammer gun with the top lever and I hunt with both hammers cocked when in bird cover with the possibility of an imminent flush. I carry the gun vertically - muzzles up with my finger and the next finger wrapped around the trigger guard to prevent the possibility of a stick or branch tripping an accidendal discharge. My top levers are of the "fishtail" design so I can open the gun and make it safe without decocking the hammers. In my opinion this is a very safe way to hunt with a hammer gun but only if one remains keenly aware that safe gun handling is paramount at ALL times.

There may be some who will say "I will never hunt with someone who hunts with his hammers cocked."

You may ask Dave Suponski if he ever felt he was in any danger while hunting with me.

Dave Suponski
12-20-2009, 08:37 AM
Nope,I don,t feel there is any additional concern than hunting with a hammerless gun or any gun for that matter. Constantly knowing where your partner is is paramount with any hunting situation.