PDA

View Full Version : It's not a "Parker", but...

Phil Yearout
04-04-2013, 08:34 PM
I was going to post this in the Parker watch fob thread but by the time I got around to it is appeared to be over. Kind of a neat fob; on the back it says Sportsman's Digest, Cincinnati, O. Dogs - Hunting - Trapping - Fishing - Outdoor Sports. I've seen a couple others around so I don't supoose it's very rare; any idea of the date? It's shown here with my grandfather's Elgin in its Keystone case.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w109/prairieschooner/003_zpsecd2f8ca.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w109/prairieschooner/002_zpsfe37df90.jpg

George M. Purtill
04-04-2013, 09:16 PM
Very nice

Paul Plager
04-06-2013, 10:23 AM
Very nice.

charlie cleveland
04-07-2013, 10:16 AM
they really go together well..i miss the day when ever body use to pull there watches out of there pockets or wound up them old timex..i toted a 7 jewel elgin with silver case for a long time traded it off for who knows... thanks for the memories.. charlie

Bill Murphy
04-07-2013, 11:49 AM
Nice fob. Nice Elgin. My Grandfather's Elgin has a screw on back. Does yours?

Destry L. Hoffard
04-07-2013, 08:27 PM
I still carry a pocket watch most days, just for the sake of nostalgia. I've got several so trade them out, here lately it's been a Hamilton 992 21 Jewel with a Montgomery Dial in a nickel silver case.

I think that fob has been reproduced, that might be why you've seen a few around. The one you show here is obviously the real deal, I think I've only ever seen one other that wasn't suspicious. Nice Find!

Destry

John Farrell
04-08-2013, 10:56 AM
Watch fobs have gone the way of buggy whips and 18 cents a gallon gasoline, I filled the vacuum with a new use for the watch fobs in dresser drawers, junk drawers, and lost in the loose change collections. It's called a Phon Phob.

It requires a thin strong cord be threaded through the little holes at the top or back of the cell phone. You thread the looped end of the cord through your favorite old watch fob. I've used a Susan B. Anthony dollar with a hole drilled in it (until I needed change for a parking meter), a souvenir coin from Canada and as you can see, a doggie gift. I had a .410 gauge hull PP for a while but old ladies would not come near me.

You put the cell phone in your pocket with the Phob outside. Phone rings, tug PP which pulls CP out of pocket and before you can say "Bob's your Uncle" the CP is ready for use. Please refrain from applauding. My high level of humility makes me blush.

Phil Yearout
04-08-2013, 11:27 AM
Phone phob; now that is just flat cool!

Bill, the back on mine is pry-open. It's amazing to see the engraving and attention to detail inside these old watches!

I've checked ebay and they have the occasional copy of Sportsman's Digest offered; most seem to be from the 20's so I suppose that helps date my fob.

Dean Romig
04-08-2013, 12:50 PM
One of these days I'll get a fitting fob for this old watch. My mother gave me this watch more than thirty years ago when she was an antique dealer.

Gold race horse with jockey over coin silver made by A.W.W. Co. (P.S. Bartlett watch works) both of Waltham Mass. Jeweled works are obvious but not elaborate. Notice there are no buggered screws in this one. There are 17 different date codes for cleaning, service or repair inscribed into the inside of the cover to the left of the maker's stamps - FAHYS - COIN - No 1 - 659

John Farrell
04-09-2013, 12:00 PM
That's a nice piece, Dean.

John Farrell
04-15-2013, 07:05 PM
Dean - here's an appropriate fob for that race horse pocket watch. I knew I had it around here somewhere and finally located it in junk drawer #3 in my shop. It's from my days in the horse racing game but I don't recall how or when I got it.

It's steel, measures 1 1/2" across the toe end and is 2" high. Weight is 1.46 oz. Surface rust.

If you want it let me know, it's yours. I'll include a dress tie with a race horse pattern that might be useful as an accessory item when you get really dressed up.

Dean Romig
04-15-2013, 11:15 PM
I like it John. Thank you very much. I'll be quite pleased to accept your offer.

Best, Dean

david ross
04-16-2013, 11:24 AM
Thats a nice watch Dean. Here is grandads watch a waltham vanguard.
All the best Dave.:bigbye:

charlie cleveland
04-16-2013, 05:20 PM
one nice watch there dave...bet she still keeps good time.... charlie

John Farrell
04-18-2013, 06:52 PM
Dean - I missed the rural mail lady today so the thing did not go out. Will get it in the mail to you tomorrow.

PS - Your PM box is full.

Dean Romig
04-18-2013, 10:14 PM
PS - Your PM box is full.

Yes, I know.... I just dumped it - should be good for a while now.