PDA

View Full Version : John Dunkle and Quail

Bruce Day
12-09-2009, 05:19 PM
May I offer for Photo Friday John Dunkle with a Kansas quail shot on his birthday, December 7.

The photo was shot south of Ingalls, Kansas. John is holding a late 12ga DHE with single trigger and slim beavertail forend.

Greg Baehman
12-09-2009, 08:50 PM
Happy belated Birthday John! You and my little lady Kathy, share the same birthday.

Dave Fuller
12-09-2009, 09:08 PM
Looks like its getting a little cold back home Bruce. Thanks for the photo. This one is from a ways east of there and a few weeks earlier. Isn't quail hunting fun!

Dean Romig
12-09-2009, 10:33 PM
Congrats John! Hope your B-day was terrific!

Francis Morin
12-10-2009, 07:09 AM
Nice gun indeed, and a good sized quail too. Nice to see lots of blaze orange decorating your frame- always a good call-::rotf:

Rich Anderson
12-10-2009, 07:39 AM
John it's such a big gun for such a small bird:duck:Where is that lively 410?:bigbye:

Looks like fun....perhaps someday I'll get west to hunt birds instead of deer.

Richard Flanders
12-10-2009, 08:24 PM
That's the first picture I think I've seen where I could positively ID our website guru John D. Nice to be able to put a face to the name finally. You sure that's a quail and not a prehistoric mini-turkey of some sort? Looks pretty big...

Dean Romig
12-10-2009, 10:07 PM
Judging by the way he's holding it by the foot and the look on his face I think John wishes it was anything but a quail. :(

John Dunkle
12-11-2009, 03:35 PM
Judging by the way he's holding it by the foot and the look on his face I think John wishes it was anything but a quail. :( HAH!!! So *THIS IS THE THREAD* that Bruce posted about my Birthday?? I started getting some PMs and e-mails wishing me the same - and it took me a while to find out where he tried to sneak the "announcement" into the Forums.. And Greg? Your Kathy must be a wonderful person.. :) :D

The good news? Thank you to all who wished my a Happy Birthday....

The bad news? I banned Bruce for posting this subversive announcement.....

:shock: :)
:bigbye:

Seriously - about those silly quail... I'm thinking we probably would have taken about 5-10 MORE pheasant a day without all those silly quail coveys rising up obscuring a perfectly good shot at a Rooster Pheasant..?? As well - and if that weren't enough - I train my pups with quail about 9 months a year... And if you've ever worked with quail during the "hot days of summer" - you know why I think quail stink... And yep - I mean "stink"... :)

Best to all!!

JD

John Dunkle
12-11-2009, 03:40 PM
John it's such a big gun for such a small bird:duck:Where is that lively 410?......perhaps someday I'll get west to hunt birds instead of deer. Hey Rich! I was thinking about bringing it out - but, I never imagined there would be that many of those pesky Quail around in Kansas?? So - I left it home and used other folks' Parkers. Can't say I regret it - as Charlie's DH 12 is wonderful.. *Almost* as nice as Bruce's little 20 I used in S.D....???

BTW - you shoot deer with your Parkers??

:duck:

;)

Best to you Rich!!

John